Setting up the QT

fishmama67

As many of you know, I am just a baby in the Salt water world (only 5 months old) with a 55 gallon tank. Presently I have FOWLR but am aiming for a reef tank with all the fun and pretties that go with. Since I have been a member of RS, I have read myriad posts about the use of a quarantine tank and how beneficial it is for all concerned. I have a few (well a LOT:dance: ) of questions about this so here goes:
What exactly do I need to have in order to make the QT a benefit instead of the "Real pain" in the nether regions that the LFS seems to think it is going to be?:look:
So far, I have a 10 gallon tank hooked up to the canister that was for my 55. DrHank says that I should hook it back up to my main tank for a week or so and then reattach to my QT so I will have some cycling started.:eek:

Obviously I need a heater (got it) and some lights (don't have yet). and a powerhead perhaps? (have one but it's really for the WC bucket:angel1: )

As for what to have in the canister: should I just have LR in there? Do I need to include new sponges and that sort of thing? Do I really not want LR and/or LS in the QT at all? This is what the LFS said as these are what harbor the parasites and things that may come in on the new fish. Yea well in the past he has proven to be full of uh waste product so I don't trust him. :bluemad: That is not to say he knows absolutely nothing so he may be right. I trust ya'll much more though so...:dance:

The FSG also says that I will need to drain and sanitize the QT after every fish quarantine. Is that true? That means I will need to cycle it and all that each time right? If that is true, it seems to follow, then, that I really don't want LR or LS in there as they really would be nurseries for the baddies.
Yea I have more questions but I'll start with those for now.:fishy:

Westerner

You shouldnt have any liverock in a QT tank. Just a big piece of PVC , and a decorative rock, coral so the fish can hide. Second, you shouldnt use any activated carbon, just have some filter floss, and some bio spheres in the cannister. The QT water should have copper medication. Copper at theraputic levels 0.15-0.20. I like to use 2 different kinds of copper test kits. So I can compare the 2 results together. With that said the fish should stay in there for 2 weeks..

DrHank

Basically I agree with westerner. Personally I'm not a big fan of copper. I do like hyposalinity and medication if I find problems. I'm not a big fan of about.com but I think this article may shed some more light on the QT process.

Aggressive Quarantine Treatment Tank - Aggressive Saltwater Aquarium Quarantine Treatment

Also remember that as in many things dealing with a marine aquarium you will find several options and opinions. I honestly don't think there is any one right way to QT but several successful methods.

fishmama67

Cool thanks guys! I checked out the link ya'll provided and that answered most of the questions I have, well at least so far. Please don't hesitate to add your two bits anyone who wants to and/or has opinions about this. Though I have only been a member for a very short time, I HAVE noticed t hat most of us are indeed rather opinionated! I mean that in a GOOD way!