Serpent star eating my snails!!!

AngieRN

so, this totally just happened! I was turning off the lights in my QT tank when I noticed my serpents out front in my DT. I stopped to look at him for a minute, as I find him very entertaining. I noticed there was a snail caught up in one of his arms. I figured no big deal, he'll find his way out. NOT! The serpent proceeded to cover him with his body and then I could see what looked like a huge lump forming on his body. I grabbed something to move him, but it was too late! The snail was GONE! And not a tiny snail, either! Has anyone ever known serpents to eat snails? What will he do with the shell he ingested? One wasn't enough for the little devil; I had to stop him from eating 2 more snails! I couldn't get pics as it was happening, but I snapped a couple after. One is a snail about the same size as the one he ate and one is of him, retreating back into the rocks! image.jpgimage.jpg

meknudson2

Wow that sucks I would imagine it is possible, but I am not 100%. I really sucks when you lose a critter.

DaveK

You can't really blame the starfish. That's what they do.

It's going to come down to either the star going or the snails going, one way or another.

soco

That means hes hungry. I used to have a huge green brittle star and he would try to eat anything lol. U will need to spot feed him large chunks of food to keep him in ur tank. Take deli shrimp and give him little chunks. Soon he will learn to come to ur hand when it's feeding time. They are so fascinating to watch eat. Good luck sorry bout the snails but that's tank life I'm afraid.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

AngieRN

I think I'm more surprised that he ate the shell! I guess I thought that if he ate a snail, he'd somehow pull it out of the shell. I'll start target feeding him and see how it goes! As always, thanks for the excellent advice!

soco

Doubt he will eat the shell. They will suck in whatever and then digest what they can. I'm sure the shell will come back out. Kinda like corn lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk