Separate fuge and fuge/sump

shark32

Hi,
I am in the process of upgrading my current 75 gallon to a 125 gallon. I currently have a 20 gallon fuge/sump and i am planning on adding either a 30 or 40 gallon separate fuge to the new tank. My current 20 gallon, has a thriving amphipod/ copepod population that I do not want to disturb, plus I would like to keep this one a 'cryptic fuge' and the bigger one a regular fuge. I have noticed that since I have not had the light on down there for some time, the copepods multiply like crazy. My question is, does anyone have separate ones, and if so, how is your water feeding into it and returning to the DT? My hubby does all the plumbing for the tanks and I was thinking I would just have two overflows and two return lines. Just wondering if there is a better way out there, that i can tell him.

Thanks!

StirCrayzy

Two drains and returns to & from the DT is asking for trouble. It will be tough to balance.

I would suggest either a separate pump in the sump to feed the extra fuge, or a T off of the drain line to feed the fuge. The downside of using the drain , is you have unfiltered water dumping in the fuge.
Whichever feed method you choose, it is most effective to have the extra fuge gravity drain into the sump, and use a single pump back up to DT.

StirCrayzy

More or less, yes. That's exactly how I have mine setup, straight from the drain to ATS, and dumping into fuge.
I've added a foam block before fuge dumps into the return section of my sump.
I'll clarify my statement a bit ...
The unfiltered water callout was more out of pump impeller protection than anything. You want some barrier before return.

shark32

Stircrazy, Thx! I actually thought about adding a little pump in the existing one to push water into the new one and just have one return line from the new one. Wasn't sure how to connect the two, other than building a PVC connector. How much higher would the new fuge have to be in order to gravity drain? They are both going under my stand, so If it's just a few inches I can do it.. Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. Thanks again!

StirCrayzy

I would drill the new fuge at its max water level, and put a pvc nozzle or hose over the edge of the sump.
As long as the water level in the fuge is higher than the sump you should be golden.

DaveK

... and I was thinking I would just have two overflows and two return lines. ...

This idea just does not work at all, It is impossible to balance the return pumps and the overflows so that they are always even. What will happen is the sump or refugium will run dry, usually causing a flood, and possible pump failure from running dry.

What you do is use one return pump in the sump with a T fitting and two valves, and run one to the tank, and the other to the refugium. Then have the refugium drain back to the sump one way or another.

One additional note, it's great to keep the existing sump since it has all the pods and such in it, but if you can create a better system by rebuilding it, do so. Your setting up a new system and you want it to be as good as possible. On the other hand, if it's all doing what you want now, use it as is.

cracker

Are these two( sump and fuge) glass or acrylic? Can You drill and install a bulkhead & 1.5 inch pipe between? .Better Yet Like DaveK says use one sump to solve the problem. Just add as much from your existing fuge to the new. You will lose a little life in the fuge but in a little while it will come back.

shark32

Thanks guys! This is exactly why I wanted opinions! This part is so confusing to me!
Stircrazy drilling is a good option to consider; once I have the plan what to do, my husband would def sketch it out before he does it..
DaveK--your advice is always appreciated!:) The 2 main reasons I wanted to keep two separate fuges, is because 1, my current one is brimming w/ llife and 2, I wanted to keep one w/o light...
cracker--my existing sump is acrylic and the new one will be glass; so drilling is totally an option;
I have a lot to think about and decide what to do;
Thanks again for all your advice!