Seneye reef issues

Wolffman64

Hi All,

First time I post something here in the equipment section, so hope I'm in the right place...

I have been running my RSM250 for a year and a half, and have used the Seneye reef monitor for about 8 months. According to the seneye, I've always had a bit high PH (8.3-8.6). In the last couple of months I have noticed that the PH levels (measured) were always going up when it was nearing the time to swap the seneye disc out. Last month, I made sure that I properly cleaned the pocket where the disc sits when I put a new one in, and the PH measurements have been more consistent ever since. Anybody else experiencing this as well?

This weekend I also had my neighbour (who is a Biotech engineer) bring his very expensive PH meter home to do an exact reading, and it showed that the Seneye was 0.5 too high!! When I went in to do an adjustment in the software, I discovered a tickbox for "marine" in the settings! When I ticket this, the PH value displayed showed 0.4 less, ie only 0.1 out compared to the correct PH reading. I have never seen this tickbox before, anybody who knows when it appeared?

I have now gone from a high PH "problem" to a too low PH in my tank (without anything changed in real life).

All comments/help/declaring me a noob much appreciated

/Jan

reefer gladness

I use my Seneye for light measurements and measure pH with a probe connected to my aquarium controller which is more accurate. pH probes are actually dirt cheap if you have a controller. Interesting find for the 'marine' tickbox though, not completely surprised because I though many of the features were geared towards simplifying a freshwater setup.

Anyways, to see what's going on behind your adjusted pH readings we need to see what you're water chemistry looks like. What are you're test results for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium? Alkalinity is the key, alk drops too low and your pH will drop. Low magnesium reduces buffering capacity, so low mag makes it harder to maintain alk. If you find you have both low mag and low alk my suggestion is to raise mag first and then alk. Go slow, an alkalinity increase of 1 dKH or more in a 24 hour period is enough to cause bleaching in some corals.

Wolffman64

Hi, thanks for your reply. I might not have expressed myself really well.... I don't really have a PH problem (it's a bit low, but not a worry), it's the measurements with the Seneye that's the problem, since they are increasing each month before the disc is changed (the actual PH is still roughly where it should be).

My water values are OK, I did my weekly tests last night with mg=1300, ca=420, Alk=10.8 dKH. After these measurements I did the dosing of mg and ca to compensate (alk is dosed during night with dosing pump)

cadugauch

Seneye has a marine tick box on the software for you to change how it reads the PH...freshwater and marine reads differently

The par meter is very accurate!