Secretive animals we keep

Paul B

Secretive animals we keep.
In our tanks, especially if they have been set up for quite a while, besides the normal clownfish, tangs, wrasses and cardinals there is sometimes an entire universe of hidden animals that we rarely, if ever see. I am not talking about the tiny feather dusters or brittle stars that invade most tanks. I am talking about fish and crabs that are in there, but we just either forgot about or rarely see.
In my tank I occasionally see a tiny, bright red gobi of some kind. I don't remember buying it or can even identify it as I just, very rarely catch a fleeting glimpse of it. Cute little guy and I wish he would make an appearance once in a while. I am not sure if I bought him or he came in with some rock or coral.
Another shy fish is my possum wrasse. I love him but he is another one why prefers to stay in the dark shadows only venturing slightly out to grab a worm but never in the full light of the LEDs. I did buy him and may get another one, not to see, but just to know I have. He knows I am watching him as I can see him keep one eye on me as he is trying to get up the nerve to poke his head out. He has this little game he likes to play with me, but I know that he knows that I can see him.
Blue stripe pipefish are among my favorites but they also prefer to hunt in the dark undersides of caves. They do come out in the open but the hunting is better in the caverns so they stay there. Such beautiful little fish, it is a shame they don't knock on the front glass to get my attention, but they don't. I guess if I were such a skinny little defenseless fish, I would stay hidden also.
I once had a brutlyd or cusk eel. I had him for 18 years and never fed him or saw him eat. They are a bright yellow eel looking fish, very nice looking and if you want to have a fish that you only see every 18 years, that is the fish for you. I would usually find him if I looked in the tank after dark with a flashlight. He would be actively searching around the rocks for creatures or forgotten food that he would eat. I had not seen him in a few months and thought he died and it wasn't until I removed all the rock to re-aquascape that I found him by accident. Unfortunately I killed him in another accident with some nice old specimins.
Over the years I have found many creatures hiding among the rocks that I would never have known I had if it were not for an accident. I have found many crabs in holes in rocks that I removed for one reason or another, some of them were quite large.
So far I have not found any Supermodels in any of my closets but I keep searching. Sometimes I look for them at night with a flashlight. I realize I will never catch one eating but you never know

Snelly40

ha my tank has one hitchhiker crab, looks like an emerald however he's quite pale, almost white... He blends in perfectly with the rock and is usually in a cave... my gf and I play "find the crab" and sometimes its 3-5 days of searching before we can locate him... he must have been in the tank for months before we first noticed him because I haven't added any rocks in months!!

Choff

I put a Wheeler Gobi in my tank about 9 months ago. Never saw him and assumed he died, but two weeks ago when I was feeding I saw him dart out from the rocks to snatch some food. I couldn't believe he was still hanging around. He is small and bright red, I wonder if that's what you spotted as well ?

...stupid auto correct

Newjack

my bristle worms are the most hidden in my tank they are long as hell and only seen them a few times in months. Once is when the lights first went out for the first time and the other is when I started target feeding Mysis. Its funny how something so long and noticeable can stay completely hidden for such a long time in such a small place where you forget you even have them. To me there not really an eye sore so I would like it if they were less shy. there very colorful.

Paul B

I put a Wheeler Gobi in my tank about 9 months ago.

I don't know what a wheeler gobi looks like, but then again, they don't know what I look like either, so we are even.
Mike, I like it there. Fish are more interesting than we are. Well some fish.

mikecc

I got a hermit that tries to communicate with me.

Sometimes I wonder if he may be an ancestor returned?

Creeps me out at times, especially late at night when I'm laying in bed waiting for the voice to settle.

Gimme a shell........Gimme a shell......

Well, I have tried. I cannot find one that you need, tho I search everywhere I go.

Creekview

If you REALLY want to play mystery guest, buy some stuff from Florida Live Rock. I've bought about 100 lbs of his decorator stuff over the last year. It's some amazing ocean cultured stuff that's been in the Gulf of Mexico for 20 years or so. I QT it after a dip in 1.030 to flush out some of the hitch hikers. I pick out the nasties I find, and return the rest to QT. In the last batch I got a cool little mantis shrimp. He shares my 33 with a small snowflake eel I just got. I have some marvelous calcareous sponges that have been around for over a year now, and have grown considerably. Lots of other critters, macro algae, beautiful coralline in several colors. Filter feeders of every kind. I want to have a really natural look in my tanks, and this stuff does it for me. Sometimes I sit for hours with a magnifying glass looking for new stuff. I'm seldom disappointed :)

Paul B

I collect five gallon buckets of "stuff" 4 or 5 times a year and dump it in my tank. I don't quarantine so once I thought I collected Amelia Aerheart. It's mostly amphipods but God knows what else is in there.

Creekview

Is that the Tampa Bay fella?

Simple google search says no.

Dale Barger, floridaliverock.com. He's in Tampa. There are 2 or 3 folks that sell it. They're licensed by the federal govt to harves this stuff, which was collected as dry rock in the Bahamas. Dale is the best of the suppliers. Not very techie, it pays to call him rather than emailing him.

Akshay

Talk of coincidence.... just last night I saw a pistol shrimp trying to grab a bit of food from under a large rock.
Over the last few months, mushrooms and rocks kept nearby this rock, would always magically move towards its base!
And I used to always think that it is the cucumber doing it.... well mystery solved.

tomr33

Dale Barger, floridaliverock.com. He's in Tampa. There are 2 or 3 folks that sell it. They're licensed by the federal govt to harves this stuff, which was collected as dry rock in the Bahamas. Dale is the best of the suppliers. Not very techie, it pays to call him rather than emailing him.

i got mine from tbsaltwater.com this is one of the other 2 or 3 that sell FL LR. mine is very nice and like you were saying i keep finding more and more little critters on these rocks that are just simply amazing...

Newjack

I went to Cancun Mexico once and we took speed boats out in the gulf to go snorkeling. I wish I could do that again today theres so much I could ship home lol..

Paul B

I know the feeling, I went diving in Bora Bora and wanted to ship manta rays home. But I couldn't find a plastic bag large enough and the ones I did find were punctured by their tail. :rollingey

Newjack

lol ill just go to the Atlanta aquarium for those. I might pick up a dolphin or two as well. Ill just put him on a flat bed semi and have some kid ride back there spraying water on him... Free willy style FTW. Just gotta figure out how to get him on the truck.. May need to borrow one of your super models.

Choff

You could have just rode a giant manta home. Although I'm not sure they would let you through the Panama canal.

I was really really tempted to get that TB rock. That is some awesome stuff and how I pictured live rock before I got into reefing. Just finding all kinds of cool stuff vs my mostly sterile tank with very few mystery inhabitants. That said, it can come with a lot of headaches. Id like to set up an aggressive tank and I may go that route. Just let nature happen.

...stupid auto correct

Creekview

i got mine from tbsaltwater.com this is one of the other 2 or 3 that sell FL LR. mine is very nice and like you were saying i keep finding more and more little critters on these rocks that are just simply amazing...

I was an avid diver when I lived in Florida, both sport and as a search and rescue diver. I fell in love with the in-shore reefs back in the late 60's and early 70's, before development and pollution killed them off. They were in 10-20 ft of water, and you could hit most of them off the beach. That is the look I wanted to re-create in this system. It'll probably be the last time I can build out a system, as I'm no spring chicken any more. I can sit and look at the same stuff I did when I was 13..........

DSP

I may bring home a geometric hawk(anthias) tomorrow and from what I hear they are very reclusive and not seen much when ya put them in your tank,There very small And honestly that's the main reason I want one lol, to just see it pop out from time to time would be cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Paul B

Creekview, you sound like me. I go to this tide pool in New York every week in the summer and collect all sorts of things besides amphipods. Tiny eels, crabs, shrimp anything that moves and throw them in my reef.
I even take some mud for the bacteria.

That pool is behind my boat here and a little to the left. I sometimes organize trips and take people there in the summer to collect shrimp and amphipods to put in their tank.