secret for wrasse pics?

TDEVIL

ok, what do you do to get a good shot of your wrasse?

here is the best i could get out of about 50 tries:(
the only thing done to the pic is resizing;)

80wrass-zoo_022-med.jpg

TD

reefrunner

Contributing Member
here is the best i could get out of about 50 tries

That's not bad, and much better than most of my wrasse attempts ;)

As for what you need....a fast lens and a fast shutterspeed, I wouldn't even try shooting a wrasse at less than 1/125th sec, and most likely I'd go for 1/250th or 1/500th. Those kind of shutter speeds means alot of light which usually means a flash.

Spooda420

They sure don't like their photos taken... probably steals their fsh spirit. Its difficult to say the least.

C

Playa

LMAO because I had the same problem trying to take pictures of my Carpenter which is the fish I believe you have in this picture. Those suckers are on cocaine all day long. They are heavy caffeine consumers!

Patience and good luck is what it takes.

You actually have a nice take, other than the fins not showing. Carpenters have beautiful fins and they sure know how to display them.

TDEVIL

Originally posted by Playa
other than the fins not showing. Carpenters have beautiful fins and they sure know how to display them.

yah, he does, only shows them when i dont have the cam

could be because he is the smallest fish that i have, he isnt much larger than the zoo frag i got from Logical (for my BD in Sept), length wise LOL

TD

wooddood

the wood dude
hey wheres travis on this thread i know he has the answer?td i really dont think its that bad a pic.dave.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The key is the flash like reefrunner said. The only problem is the light reflecting off the tank which makes it look terrible. What I did to finally get a pic of mine was to reflect the light from the flash by using a book, I know it's odd but it worked for me. I'm sure travis and others will come along with better suggestions

reefrunner

Contributing Member
To keep the flash from reflecting back....take the pic at a slight angle to the glass, so it doesn't reflect straight back into the lens.

ReefLady

Staff member
A flash definitely helps. So does waiting.

I took this one with the off-camera flash

Of all the pics I've taken, this is one of my favorites, partially because of the difficulty factor.
1734bananaweb-med.jpg

This one was taken without flash. I sat in front of the tank for about 30 minutes waiting for this bugger to slow down enough for me to take the pic. My estimate would be that the shutter speed was around 1/60. The only reason I got it that fast was I shot at ISO400 and then used a noise-reduction action in Photoshop to get out the graininess.
1734sixlineweb-med.jpg

So, there is no secret, but an off-camera flash, fast shutter, and patience all pay off, especially when you use a combination of the above.

Patience is free. :)

Craig Manoukian

Travis,

Do you hold your off camera flash or do you have it held by an extra stationary tripod? Do you angle the off camera flash away from or diectly at the subject?

That is a beautiful Yellow Wrasse in the later juvenile stage. When they become adults they have awesome irridescent orange lines that run laterally down the head from the snout. Would love to post a pic of the beautiful male in my tank! Need a camera first!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

TDEVIL

thanks for the tips

that pic wasnt taken w/ anything (lenses, flash, and didnt adjust the shutter)

i will try those tips and post here in a few days, been working hard and im kinda tired, so give me a few days to figure out the cam some more and get some energy to take some pics
if i tried now i would prob fall a sleep waiting to him to stay;)
sometimes the tank is too relaxing

TD

ReefLady

Staff member
Craig, on that particular pic I used the flash on an additional tripod. However, that doesn't always give me the mobility I want, in this case I was shooting a 29 so the flash pretty much covered it.

I have had my girlfriend walk around the Houston Aquarium holding the flash for me so I can move around. I think she's a keeper! ;)

Craig Manoukian

Thanks travis, will add additional lens and remote flash capability on the list of "must have" features for my camera.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Thanks travis, will add additional lens and remote flash capability on the list of "must have" features for my camera.

Hey Craig, haven't you been compiling this list for a little over a year now? You got an ETA on when your gonna get a cam? You don't post nearly enough pics of your tank ;)

Maxx

I have had my girlfriend walk around the Houston Aquarium holding the flash for me so I can move around. I think she's a keeper!
Yeah, its little things that let you know....my girlfriend Rocio puts up w/all my idiocies, actually came to a Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of St Louis, (SEASL for short...I ususally refer to as the coolest bunch of fish nerds I know), and is letting me put my 58 gallon tank in her dining room....
Who's the Big Winner???? Me...:D
Nick

Spooda420

Originally posted by Maxx
(SEASL for short...I ususally refer to as the coolest bunch of fish nerds I know)

Nick

So whatcha saying nick? I'm a fish nerd? Good thing I'm not a computer geek also. :D (to tell the truth I refer to the club as coral geeks... ...myself I'm a fish nerd!):cool: :apint:

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by reefrunner
You got an ETA on when your gonna get a cam? You don't post nearly enough pics of your tank ;)

Let's see just checkin' my list of excuses here:

2 Kids in College
New Sump/Refugium with skimmer and pumps
New lights
New Fuel Pump, Brakes, Transfer Case on Yukon
Wating for price of cameras to come down....