Sebae Anemone. Feeding? and hosting.

carlagracie

Hello all my fiance brought home a sebae anemone the other day without telling me. Not sure if we were ready yet but she saw it and bought it. Anyway its been 4 days and he seems to be doing great he found a spot with medium flow and has been there for 3 days now. I have been feeding him dry plankton and was wondering what else I should feed him and how much? My last question is I know not all clowns will host an anemone but I do want to get a clown and was wondering is there any type of clown that might be more likely to host? I herd that wild clowns might be more willing to host since they have seen anemones before is this true? Thanks for your help.

liveaquaria

Hello,

i was you about a year ago! This is what you do.... go to your local fish store and look for a clownfish that is ALREADY hosting an anemone. It will not matter which anemone it is hosting because it already has had symbiosis with an anemone! I was at the fish store and i wanted to buy a sebae anemone too and i looked in the condylactis tank and sure enough, there was a clarkii clownfish just DIVING into the condylactis. So i bought the clarkii cf and the sebae (from another tank) and acclimated them into my tank and about 20 seconds later he was LOVING it! Still have the fish and the anemone and auctally have 6 anemones (all different kinds) and he hosts everyone!!! Hope this helps!:) Spoiled little bugger! :)

liveaquaria

Hello,

i was you about a year ago! This is what you do.... go to your local fish store and look for a clownfish that is ALREADY hosting an anemone. It will not matter which anemone it is hosting because it already has had symbiosis with an anemone! I was at the fish store and i wanted to buy a sebae anemone too and i looked in the condylactis tank and sure enough, there was a clarkii clownfish just DIVING into the condylactis. So i bought the clarkii cf and the sebae (from another tank) and acclimated them into my tank and about 20 seconds later he was LOVING it! Still have the fish and the anemone and auctally have 6 anemones (all different kinds) and he hosts everyone!!! Hope this helps!:) Spoiled little bugger! :)

WaiWiliki

I recently got the same anemone and was told it could eat a silverside once a week. I've been thawing it out and cutting the head off before putting it in the tank.

carlagracie

Great thanks alot for the replys. I will go to LFS tomorrow and buy some silversides and see if they have and clowns hosting nems. Thanks.

wm23oh

Your tank is less than a month old (based on your history) you really should be a responsible reefer and take it back.

It sucks to get that advice however the reality of the situation is your tank must have just barely cycled if it has even fully cycled at all. Sabae's are difficult to keep and if your tank has not fully cycled or goes through a mini cycle you may loose it causing it to kill everything in your tank.

I can't stress it enough please research the animal you have and please take it back until your tank is stable and running smoothly for at least 6 months.

Best wishes,

James

carlagracie

Your tank is less than a month old (based on your history) you really should be a responsible reefer and take it back.

It sucks to get that advice however the reality of the situation is your tank must have just barely cycled if it has even fully cycled at all. Sabae's are difficult to keep and if your tank has not fully cycled or goes through a mini cycle you may loose it causing it to kill everything in your tank.

I can't stress it enough please research the animal you have and please take it back until your tank is stable and running smoothly for at least 6 months.

Best wishes,

James

If you seen my other posts which I assume you didnt because your wrong This tank LR and LS are a little over 3 years old. I had a 90 gallon tank 3 years ago with the same LR LS and fish and my tank broke. My aunt wanted a SW tank so I gave it all to her because at the time i didnt have another tank to transfer to and it was put in her 55 gallon tank. She called me about 2 weeks ago and said she doesnt have time to take care of it and she gave me her 55g tank and all of my stuff back. I did buy a 75 gallon tank and transfer everything over. Long story short everything in my tank is at least 3 yrs old except the nem and a golden headed sleeper goby. If I misunderstod you im sorry if not please make sure your info is correct before you post.

As far as the best clown to try, IME a sebae or clarki clown is the most likely to host yer nem, you can also get an anemone crab instead of a clown, I have 3 nems, 1 RBTA w/ a tomato, a sebae w/ a crab, and a rock nem all alone, my 2 percs host everything but the nems lol, good luck

wm23oh

If you seen my other posts which I assume you didnt because your wrong This tank LR and LS are a little over 3 years old. I had a 90 gallon tank 3 years ago with the same LR LS and fish and my tank broke. My aunt wanted a SW tank so I gave it all to her because at the time i didnt have another tank to transfer to and it was put in her 55 gallon tank. She called me about 2 weeks ago and said she doesnt have time to take care of it and she gave me her 55g tank and all of my stuff back. I did buy a 75 gallon tank and transfer everything over. Long story short everything in my tank is at least 3 yrs old except the nem and a golden headed sleeper goby. If I misunderstod you im sorry if not please make sure your info is correct before you post.

I did read your other posts and that's how I calculated the time frame. It is a fresh move from one tank to another really no different than from your LFS to your home if you think about it.

Just like that rock from the LFS it may have some die-off caused by the move, but it's your choice and if you decide to keep it I wish you good luck.

But I stand by my OP and still suggest taking it back until the tank is 6 months old.

James