Sealing a leaky aquarium

AngieRN

I have a quick question, we bought a 125g tank that has a leak in one corner. I know we have to use 100% silicone, but is it ok if it says it's for windows, doors, and siding? It's 100% silicone, clear, and 100% waterproof...it's "DAP" brand (idk if that matters)

Thanks for any advice

mikecc

You want silicone that contain no fungicides.

Good luck. Clean glass really good with rubbing alcohol.

I've never gotten a leak to be permanently fixed, a new tank is much better, in my experience. My 125 leaked, tried to fix. no good. took it in lfs. he said he could fix. could not. sold me a new 125 @ cost + trade in of old tank- no problems since. Knock on wood.

AngieRN

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it could truly be repaired...I figure it will probably sit in my garage for several weeks to see if it will still leak. I don't think I'll ever trust it, but my husband insists he can repair it, lol.

Snelly40

us guys do think we can FIX anything!!! hahaha

but yah home depot and lowes typically sell reef safe silicone.. good luck :)

reeferman

at lowes or hd,look for GE Silicone I,
DO NOT use GE Silicone II,it contains mold and mildew inhibitors that can be toxic in a reef.
if you are gonna try and fix it,then the proper way to do it is cut out ALL the old silicone and reseal the entire tank.new silicone usually will not adhere to old silicone[thats why so many repairs fail].im sure theres someone out there who has just resealed affected area and it hasnt leaked [yet]but its not the correct way to do it.just think of the damage 125g of saltwater can do to your floor system.
i have resealed several old tanks by replacing the silicone.heck,i cut out all the silicone on my brand new [at the time]120g custom starphirre because of a sloppy silicone job on the builders part.its not a difficult job but it does need to be done correct if you want to get years of worry free enjoyment.

AngieRN

@Snelly40, I can't speak for all guys, but he definitely thinks he can fix ANYTHING!! HaHaHa :) For good reason maybe, so far the tank is holding...24 hrs and counting!
@gareeferman, he stripped all of the old silicone. He actually tried patching just the end that was leaking 3 or 4 times and it just wouldn't hold. I was ready to give up, but he said it wasn't going to beat him! So, he stripped out every bit of silicone and cleaned it good and resealed it. So far, so good :thumbup:

I built a tank using GE clear silicon. let it set for 3 days in the garage to fully. cure then filled it to test for leaks. After i let it set for the rest of the week b4 using it. had it for years until it got broke during move.

puffermike

Just remember to clean every nook and cranny a million times over again after you scrape off ALL of the old silicone. You can use a scaper with a razor blade on to do so. I used acetone afterwards to clean it. It dries fast and leaves no residue. I can't stress enough that it has to be totally free of the old silicone and VERY clean to last for years.