Seahorse...

I'm contemplating creating a refugium off of my tank and although i know that a refugium is for housing pods and stuff, as well as greater water volume, and to help with the nitrate to nitrogen cycle...i was thinking of what if i created the refugium and put a seahorse in there? can this be done?

Thanks

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Yes, but it will defeat the purpose of it supplementing your pod population. It is actually an excellent idea, since the water quality will be much more stable. My only regret about my little seahorse tank is the very frequent WC's that I have to do.

reefjitsu

One issue that you will run into is temperature. Seahorses do better at lower temps than most people keep their reefs at.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
A fuge will feed your tank with pods, which are a good food source for picky fish, and also good detrivores.

As far as tank size goes, I think that 30g is reccomended only because of the water volume needed to keep params stable. If this is going to be connected to the main tank, as long as there is enough vertical height for them to freely swim around they should be just fine. A 20g (24x12x16h) or an 18gh (20x10x20) would be just fine.

As for temps, if you run a chiller, feed the fuge off of a "T" in the output line, and keep a heater in there to manage temps just right. If you don't run a chiller, try to keep your main tank at about 78-79 deg.