Seahorse problem

Tab964

I have 4 seahorses a black and yellow pair. The smallest of all is the female black. She is about 1.5" not including tail. The others are twice her size. She always ate the most at feedings. The last few days she would not eat and would just stay in the same spot. This AM she was at top of tank horizontal and trying to grasp something but she could not get lower in tank. I now have her in a quarentine with something for her to grasp.

My water sal 1.026, am 0, trites 0, trates 5-10, ph 8.3, kh 9.2, cal 410, ph 0, mag 1200 temp 78. I bought all from same LFS who gets them from ORA here in FL. She did look like there were small areas of skin flaking these were small and the skin under was a health black. The tanks heater is external so she did not get burned. All other seahorses are fine and eat. She has no visual problems except the not eating and now the inability to control her movments. The skin flaking did not look serious and thought it was normal with growth. The pieces were small and would not notice except small flutters when fought by current.

panmanmatt

For starters, your temperature is way to high. Seahorses need to be kept at temps in the 72-74F range. I'd suggest lowering the tank in your display tank to that temperature range and the QT tank down to 68.

Also a Mag 1200 is a huge pump for a seahorse tank. What size tank is it?

Can you please answer all the questions in this thread, http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/seahorses-pipefish/26157-emergency-posting.html

Can you get a picture of the seahorse in question? Also do you have any medications on hand such as Furan-2, Neomycin or triple sulfa?

Tab964

I can reset temp on chiller a few degrees. The mag 1200 was the magnesium level not the pump. The pumps are adjusted so very little current, just enough lightly sway.

I had all weekend to research online and it seems it may be a swim bladder problem. The fish can not lower itself. As soon as it releases it floats to the top horizontally. It is being treated with an antibiotic for the possible infection but from what have read it does not seem good. Luckily the other 3 are fine and eat twice dailey. They are in a 60 gal with with heat and chiller water being treated outside of tank then returned to tank with 2 300 gph pumps on a wavemaker.

panmanmatt

What antibiotic are you using and at what dosage? The skin coming off is not normal and is something more than a swim bladder issue.

Why are you running a heater and a chiller? I'd suggest unplugging the heater as it is not needed unless you keep your house temperature in the low 60's and if that's the case you wouldn't need a chiller.