Seachem Reef Salt

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
...I am still trying to find a decent salt mix :rolleyes: So far my favorite mix is 1/2 Oceanic and 1/2 IO. I would love to try the SERA but it is not available in the area... and I do not like having salt shipped.

Seachem Reef Salt:
35 ppt salinity
79 f
9 dkh alkalinity
380 calcium
1170 mg (low!)

After adding magnesium to reach 1300 ppm:
9 dkh alk
420 calcium

aquaman3680

some good all around salts are reef crystals by instant ocean and this new salt by tropical marine it is the best salt out on the market right now. Kent is ok. Oceanic has too much iodine in it and i have heard of peoples tanks being nuked by it.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Tropic Marin - (not the pro reef version) I have tried and it was just like Seachem Reef Salt - low in magnesium.

Oceanic - I used for a long while with no issues but it was VERY high in calcium and low in alkalinity so only minor water changes could be performed.

Instant Ocean - I used to use a LOOOng time ago. It was low in calcium and alkalinity. I would be willing to test/try a small bag since I have heard they revamped it...

Oceanic/Instant Ocean - half/half of these two have rendered the best testings of any one salt mix I have tried thus far...

Kent - I've never tried it.

Reef Crystals - I've never tried.

Tropic Marin Pro Reef - I have never tried. LFSs do not carry it.

HowardW

Woodstock said:
Do you test it prior to usage? If so, what does yours test at?

I don't test calcium or Mag after mixing up a batch, but the levels in the tank are correct so it must be ok I assume.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
How often do you water change Woodstock?
Just curious.
20 gal every 7-10 days... sometimes 14 days.

I don't test calcium or Mag after mixing up a batch, but the levels in the tank are correct so it must be ok I assume.
I highly recommend testing newly made salt water PRIOR to use. The only exception to this I when you are very, very familiar with the salt and have already tested it a few times (same bucket).

HowardW

Woodstock said:
20 gal every 7-10 days... sometimes 14 days.

I highly recommend testing newly made salt water PRIOR to use. The only exception to this I when you are very, very familiar with the salt and have already tested it a few times (same bucket).

I don't test each individaul batch because I do frequent very small water changes, so even if the parameters were way off it wouldn't affect the tank much. I do however check the tank parameters 3 times weekly and also do occasional dosing. I agree though that for someone doing 20% or greater water changes should test the water each time.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The "occassional dosing" you mention is probably why your magnesium levels are still doing good. It must have mg in it. I don't know how long you've been using Seachem Reef Salt but using it long term with no mg supplementation would certainly render your tank low in mg and subsequently ca.

Shells

Woodstock said:
...I am still trying to find a decent salt mix :rolleyes: So far my favorite mix is 1/2 Oceanic and 1/2 IO. I would love to try the SERA but it is not available in the area... and I do not like having salt shipped.

Seachem Reef Salt:
35 ppt salinity
79 f
9 dkh alkalinity
380 calcium
1170 mg (low!)

After adding magnesium to reach 1300 ppm:
9 dkh alk
420 calcium

How long have you been using this mixture and what changes if any
have you noticed in your tank/s.??

i too am tryin to find the a good salt mix.

Mad Mike

Woody it's expensive to ship but worth every penny :) I drive mmmmm 400 miles to pick mine up. I make a day of it pack up the family and off we go.

Maybe we can ship some parcel post, it's slow but its cheaper. PM me if you want to talk about it.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Shells, I just started using Seachem Reef Salt this week so I've not noticed any change at all in my tank. I do not plan on getting it again... I'm on the hunt for a balanced salt that needs no supplementation.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Mad Mike :)

Good idea Boozeman... too bad I don't live further north... ohhhh wait.. what am I saying!! :eek:

:p

Witfull

everyone,,email Sera salt....tell Harvey(NE rep) to become a sponsor of RS.

he spoke to me and Doni, and then nothing....we need to get the ball rolling~

BHinAK

This discussion about salt was just what I needed to know. I wanted to start testing salts availible to me here in Anchorage. The LFS I by corals from just picked up the Seachem brand 2 weeks ago. She sells it and the IO buckets for $75.00 (150 gallon)

Petco sells IO for $64.00 (150) and the Oceanic small (50gallon) for $24

Both stores are 1 and 3 miles from my house.

I looked up Sera salt and found this place in PA that sells (150gallon) buckets for $37.00. That would be nice!! Thats 1/2 what I have to pay.

http://www.thehiddenreef.com/about_us.htm