Sea Hare Pic

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey!

Well saw this critter in the LFS today and brought him home to do some algae clean up in my tank and after 25 minutes in the tank it started to roam around the tank and eating algae! Moves quite fast for a slug! Here is a not so good pic of it!

Cougra

I saw a couple of thoose at one of the LFS. They were huge! How big is the one that you have? How big do they get?

The owner of the LFS said they were the best things he had for eating algae.

They definately aren't the prettiest things in the world!

sharks

Contributing Member
John,
How is the HA and sea hare now?
I just added one to the reef at the LFS.
We are going through a nasty bout of HA and as a last result I recommended one of the hares.
I am looking around but can’t find an article on the hares I saw somewhere.
Aren’t they toxic if they dye? And can release a toxic die when bothered.
Can a hare kill corals if it releases the toxins or just the fish?
TIA
S

Gina

RS STAFF
Not the prettiest looking creature I've ever seen but, good algae eater! congrats on your new pet!

Spooda420

dont they multiply like rabbits? I thought I read some where that that are hermafrodites, or being of both sexes for the big word impaired people. :smirk: and that they multiply EXTREMELY FAST.

how much did it cost? how much HA has it consumed since you got it? is it big enough to knock over the LR and corals?

sharks

Contributing Member
It is about 3-4 inches long. It was in the tank and within 10 minuets at was munching on some really nasty long HA. I can’t wait to get to the store tonight to see what impact it has had in just 24Hrs. I have my camera with me so I hope to post a pic or two.
While they are an ugly beast I love it. For me the uglier the better! I did keep a 220G filled with fancy goldfish.
I see LiveAquaria is selling them for $11.99 +shipping. I’m not sure what it cost us wholesale.
Most of our corals are attached so I’m not to worried about it knocking things over.
My boss even said that it can kill all the fish so long as it cleans up the HA.
I’m just wondering if the toxins can kill corals and fish, or just fish.
Pics to come soon :D

Last edited:

Crakeur

the sea hares that multiply like rabbits are on the ipsf.com site. called sea bunnies.

same as the one in the pic above. I had one as a hitcher once, damn thing was huge. no algae in the tank tho.

they are excellent carpet munchers and they don't knock things over since they don't have the big bulky shell banging into corals.

Playa

I have 3 of them. Small, Medium and large. They stay pretty busy and no regrets.

They are fun to play with, just be gentle when handling them.

By far the best Algae eater I have ever seen, they are relentless.

I have come to think that they are not ugly and that I am ugly:)

Here is one of mine.

I got all 3 of them from Brian at www.blowfishaquatics.com

Spooda420

Originally posted by Crakeur
they are excellent carpet munchers and they don't knock things over since they don't have the big bulky shell banging into corals.

We are not talking about same sex marriages are we?

sharks

Contributing Member
Thanks to all for the info! :thumbup:
:welcomera Bryan and thanks to you too :D
I have been looking at theseaslugforum a lot lately :hammerhea
I’m amazed at the varsity this little bugger has towards HA.
It pulls large clumps into its mouth with surprising speed.
They are without a doubt worth every penny when fighting HA and it’s only been 30+ hours.

Here is a quick pic and there are a lot more to come…
If you look at the reflection you can see they have a similar mouth structure compared to a large snail.
We watched it tonight mow down a couple of long patches and this is the new talk of the tank :eek: