Scratches

miro

I see a couple threads about scratches but not many answers/solutions :p So im gonna try now :fingerscrossed:
As i got the tank i saw a couple scratches but didnt pay much attention to them nor did it cross my mind that it might be possible to remove them. They sure annoy me more and more now!
Since im still just cycling it, i was wondering if there are any solutions for doing it inside the tank without taking everything out? Have also a couple very light ones on the outside.
Main scratches are in the corners, so you dont really notice them.. but still! Any tips? :helpme:

Last edited:

DaveK

I don't know of any safe way to deal with scratches inside a tank when full.

If your tank is acrylic, you can buff the scratches out in an empty tank using one of the various plastic polishes out there.

A glass tank is much more difficult and requires some special abrasives, and is a big messy project. You can only get fine scratches out in glass. In general, if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it's too deep to remove from glass.

miro

Yep, read about the difficulty dealing with glass, as much as i found on google was that all rms´s are glass - so i guess my old 130 is also :oops:(?) I cant really tell the difference since it is my first one :p
I found some info and products on acrylic tanks, that you can even use inside an active tank.. but then again it wont apply if mine is glass :rolleyes:
Guess i can try to get the light scratches on the outside off, but the inside will just stay as is, hoping i´ll notice them less once theres some life in it and other things to look at :D

Dracko

If the scratches are not too deep, and you can lower the water level to below them, for just a short while, you can help make them less visible with a little thin super glue. Just a drop at a time lightly rubbed on the scratch with a cotton swab until it smooths out as much as possible. Let dry for about 10 mins and smooth again with a wet scotch pad then refill tank. But I have not always been successful with this method, it is a little tricky. And be cautious with the cotton swabs, let them dry completely before you toss them, or they can catch fire. This will not fill them in, mind you, but it makes them less visible.

frisbee

Just deal with them.. At first it sucks, (nothing but an eyesore) but as time goes by and life happens it's just a knick in the windshield. There's more important things out there to deal with. FWIW, my tank looks like somebody took sand paper to the inside of the glass... Straight on it looks ok, but on the pitch it's all mucked up. Oh well... :)

miro

Haha.. :D Id love it to be perfect but im also guessing that i will mind em less and less once i have something else to look at!
I read also people trying to even them out with silicone.. Guess i can test and poke around a bit on the outer side first:)

Pat24601

Scratches in glass are tough. The good part about glass is its much harder to scratch, but once it is its a real problem as you've read and as everyone is saying.

My guess is that once you get stuff in there you won't really notice...especially if they are light enough its just now bothering you.

I have a couple in mine from the kiddos playing with my mag float, but I only really notice if I go OCD and look for them.

The good part about trying a fix now is you have nothing in your tank to mess up. The downside is you may make things worse somehow for a problem that you won't even notice later.