Scratched RSM 250

tyleratl

I recently bought a used Red Sea Max 250 that had some scratches that I thought that I could buff out with cerium oxide. Unfortunately, it only seemed to make the scratches worse. Other than this, the tank is in excellent condition. I decided to put it into operation and just try to get over the scratches. But, that is proving to be easier said than done. Those darn scratches bother me! I've been wondering if I might be able to replace the section of glass in front of the filter compartment that is used for viewing. Has anyone ever heard of this being done with an RSM 250?

DaveK

Exactly where are the scratches? If they are on the front glass, then maybe you want to try and replace the glass. Anyplace else, algae of one sort of another will overgrow it in no time and you will not even see it. Once you get a coating of coraline algae, you'll find that covers all and it tough to remove.

Also, consider that removal and replacement of any part of a tank is a major job. Make sure your skills are up to something like this.

stravo71

Be more cost effective to just replace the glass. I had a tank with scratches and when I went to have them removed the quote was outrageous. They have to heat the glass up and buff the heck out of it. Would have been a 2 month wait. I had then replace it and had tank back in a week. Now I have an acrylic tank and when I get a scratch because of my toddlers I just buff it out. Hope you get it figured out. They are awesome tanks. The scratches will be an eye sore after a while on the front. Once algae grows in them they will stick out even more. Especially when around them is clean

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

tyleratl

Yes, replacing the glass is likely the only option. But, I've just never heard of anyone doing that with a Red Sea Max. The glass is curved in the front and that might make it more difficult to replace.