Scolymia - Doughnut Coral?

casademurphy

Anyone out there have one of these? And if so, what's the best way to take care of them? We just put one in our tank yesterday and I woke up this morning and it's not doing too well. Any tips on rehabilitating?

:tears:

Attachments

• scolymia.jpg
    scolymia.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 70

lcstorc

I don't know much about them but it is common for corals to get upset when moved. I would follow Wit's instructions and wait a couple of days before worrying.

Witfull

when the close up you will see skelton....thats how the protect themselves form hungry mouths.

casademurphy

Everything is perfect. Nitites, Nitrates, pH, Calcium, Salinity. Nothing is off. I'm not sure if this was caused by a fish or something else. Very strange.

:smck:

Did you move the coral around allot/handle it , before your final placement?

Looks a bit "beat-up", with those few septial teeth sticking through, you may want to protect it from heavy current for the time being until you see it begin to heal.

BEELZEBOB

that coral looks malnurished and starving.

MHO is that its not your tank, but the coral itself thats in bad shape. time and care should help it rebound

ive had mine do that before...give it some more flow...

Its not starving, its all lacerated.

When you put in the tank did you hold it upside down? All thin fleshed corals like that, i.e. torch, hammer, frog spawn, scoly, duncans, dendros need to be pulled out of water upside down. This prevents the flesh being cut up my the sharp skeleton below. The weight of the skin is enough to do damage.

Ive had one that was almost completely destroyed come back. Looked just like yours. now it looks like this.

pink-and-gold-scoly.jpg

mine was placed under a vortech. I think it may have helped that the strong undertow pulling up on the flesh.