Scallop question

saltycity

I have a very old, nutrient rich tank. Sponges and other filter feeding animals do very well in my tank. So I decided to try a scallop. It disappeared and I assumed it had died but four months later I am looking around at night with a flashlight and this is what I find. My question is why its feeding apparatus and mantel are sticking out over one inch past the shell. Does not look normal. Any idea whats up or is this just normal. thanks

2011_0414siren0002.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Looks like it's found a place it likes and just reaching out to feed. I have little exsperience with these so lets see who else pops in.

cindyp

looks good to me as well, I had one for 2 years then I changed tanks and he didn't make it:(
004-1.jpg

ChrisY

Anyone got any good links on tank requirements, feeding etc for scallops. I love eating them, but they are also just plain cool to look at :)

Chris

michael_cb_125

These guys can do well in captivity, but require a very nutrient rich system. I have 4 that I have been keeping for a little over a year and they are doing great (I actually collected these myself). Most (90%) of the reef tanks these guys get stuck in are not nearly established for their long term success.

~Michael