Saving a Baby RBTA!

catran

I introduced a small 2" RBTA to my RSM 130 about 2 weeks before I left on vacation.
He was perched on a rock at the top of the tank along side another nem for about a week. Then, he moved to the side and seemed to like it there better.
When I arrived home from a week of vacation, he was no where to be found. A day later, I found him attached to my rock base at the back corner of my tank, at the very bottom of the tank. He was in pretty bad shape, having a huge hole in the middle where his mouth was. I didn't take a pic because I didn't think he would live much longer.
I decided to try and save him, so I took a small powerhead and aimed it at him from a distance. He let go of the rock and I scooped him up and put him in a basket.
I took pics every afternoon and night of him starting to recover.

These pics show how bad he was. He actually was almost split, he had a U shape at that time as demonstrated by the second pic. This was Tuesday.
6fb6061f.jpg

cf673fc0.jpg

Wednesday, I decided to try to figure out if he was responsive to rock again. It took no time at all for him to attach himself to it. He looked a little better too, having closed up. His mouth was still pretty white though.
d96bbb74.jpg

41b55df5.jpg

88647c16.jpg

At night I noticed his tentacles started to inflate again
0b9b6aa2.jpg

1ab8e1d1.jpg

Thursdays pics. He's still improving, his bubbles looking better!
27cf092f.jpg

fb4486f3.jpg

Friday he looks like he's trying to escape again!
87a9c589.jpg

He looked about the same yesterday, his mouth is open when the lights first come on.
I'm still not convinced that he'll make it since he looks bad when the lights come on...
I'm hoping that I'll still be able to save him.
I'll post pics of is progress every night!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Great save Cat! Aren't vacations just the worst? The feeling you get just as you're getting home, and turn the corner to see you tank.......gets me every time!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
they can get themselves in quite a mess, it hasn't bleached and looks good for now, Id say odds in your favor on this one. Whats your salinity at?

catran

It's at 1.024 now. Normally, I like it to keep it at 1.025. I have 5 other nems in the tank and they're doing fine.

catran

I agree. I was focusing on moving my mini maxi's out of there and I will raise it in a couple of days. I didn't want to shock the baby nem either. Not that .001 would kill it. I'm just being cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk