Sand sifting??

I want to find something that will keep my sand sifted. Really like to try a sand sifting goby which one do you think is the best?? I have a 75 gallon reef tank with a neon goby so it would have to get along with it.... Also have a black sailfin blenny aswell. Many other fish but nothing that should be a problem. Any suggestions???
Thanks
Shawn

Naw, Id love a bluespot but my top is open and couldn't stand to see one take a jump!! Want something that is going to cruise and sift the whole sand bottom!!

t_j

What about a white sand sifting goby?? I hope to get one this weekend. I see them in other peoples tanks and they never seem to get scared off and always seem to be sifting.

ReefGuy69

Or i just purchased a bunch of Nassariusis (SP?) snails and they burrow and cruise all over and through the sand. they seem to be working pretty good. and my wife loves to watch them.. they are cool. they burrow and leave their little snouts sticking up out of the sand.

t_j

Those are cool I have one (had two long story) but they like to eat your smaller cleaning snails.

lcstorc

Don't go with sand sifting stars. They will quickly eat all the organic matter in your sandbed and then slowly starve. Only recommended for 100+ well established tanks with a significiant amount of sand.
Personally I love nassarius snails. Keep in mind they are omnivores so you will see them eating a creature that died of other causes.

framerguy

It's almost mandatory to have a pod filled refugium to have success with a sand sifting starfish. I have a pink spot goby that has tons of character and sifts sand all day long. You'll be blowing your corals off a lot because of it though so be prepared. Pink spots get pretty big (+-6") and have been known to eat shrimp although mine never has. Other good choices would be a Decorated Goby (Istigobius decoratus), Ornate (I. ornatus)blacktip (Coryphopterus melacron), masked (C. personatus), and Puntang (Exyrias puntang- yes, that's the real name). As with all gobies the chance to get a jumper is there but these guys are less likely. The Istigobius spp. don't tend to dig as deep as some of the others, maybe 1/2" or so. Hope that helps!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
GobyPeppermint.jpg

Winner of the June '07 photo contest!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Come on Scott, I mentioned they might eat shrimp and gave plenty of other good candidates!

That is why I posted that picture. I wasn't trying to trump you by any means. I think it is a great fish and sand sifter. Your suggestion does not suck!

framerguy

I posted that in jest but it didn't read that way, sorry. I thought you were ribbing me a little! I knew it didn't suck. Shrek is so full of character that I would recommend that fish to anyone.

CMG

I am looking into getting either a Randals Goby or a Yellow Watchman Goby. Will either of those two sand sift? I really want the randals.