sand dollars....are they able to live in mytank ?

slb11106

i live in tampa fl and went out to the beach and found a ton of the "sand dollars" and wondered if they would live in my tank ?

reefjitsu

Generally, they do not live long in our tanks and do much better in a specialized set-up. Also, I may be wrong, but I believe that it is no longer legal to collect live ones.

slb11106

ahh, i was thinking they may need alot of flow since they seem to live near the coast line, and i could not replicate that, and would not want to, but i would be interested in trying if anyone had any further details on this... thanks for the reply reefjitsu

Charlie97L

definitely not. i made a post about this a few months ago.

they need dirty water, and you'll never ever see them, if they live long enough.

let me see if i can find it.

edit: i can't find it, i think it was one of the ladies that asked initially.

from what i rememeber, definitely not. they will eat your corraline, much like many species of urchins. if you had a 200+ i'd say, possible you could get away with one, but in a 90, it would wipe out your corraline. not a good thing.

here's a great article on enchinoderms i found
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i4/echinoderms/echinoderms.htm

check it out. it's pretty dense, but the upshot is, no, it's not recommended. something else i remember, sand dollars are pretty aggressive, and may attack invertebrates/coral/shrimp. so no. plus they prefer dirtier conditions that your coral won't like.

anyway, yeah, i wouldn't recommend it.

are you looking for something different? if that's the case, let us know, there are a lot of uncommon options that are safer than enchinoderms.''

EDIT 2: after looking some more, it says almost all sand dollars won't accept target feeding, and depend almost solely on buried organic matter for food... which is something you should never have in your aquarium.

Cougra

I agree with Charlie, they are not suitable for aquariums. They require a suprising amount of food that our tanks can not provide. They will quickly deplete the sand bed of any sort of detritus that they require.

slb11106

thanks for the info, i will go with that and leave them at the beach...any ideas on any other cool critters that i could add to the tank ?

Charlie97L

a tuxedo urchin can be cool, if you don't mind it eating your corraline somtimes. if you supplement with nori, which you need to do if there's not an abundance of algae in your tank, you might be able to train it off corraline completely. most places don't mention they eat that. :) also, they tend to knock over stuff, so make sure your coral frags and rock are secure and are well mounted.

http://www.fishpalace.org/M_globulus.html
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=595

lobters are also unusual, but usually will do better in a coral/larger fish with live rock tank, as they will hunt small fish and inverts... but they're not the HUGE difficulty that like, scallops/oysters/sand dollars are. you just have to stock your tank accordingly. also with lobsters, usually you need to provide a cave. and they can get big.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=506

i would advise against things like sea apples, sea cucumbers and nudibranches because they can nuke your tank if they die and you don't catch it quickly enough. plus, most have highly specialized diets (ie eat only aiptasia or flatworms) and once that food supply is exhausted, they die.

you can also get some interesting shrimp, the ghost boxer, which is like an albino coral banded, is cool. there are also some interesting crabs.

basically, anything you get that's going to be unique and interesting, is usually that way because it's only semi-reef-safe, and most people don't want to take a chance on it, so not many sell, leading to lower collections and higher rareity. it's up to you... personally, if i had a big tank, and wanted to do something cool, as much as i love shrimp and gobies/smaller fish, i'd ditch them, and the smaller fish, and get a blue lobster. that would be neat. there's a purple one too, but i can't remember how big it gets. just remember, that sucker will end up over a foot, if things go well.

without making changed to your current setup, a tux urchin will probably integrate the easiest, if you don't mind some corraline loss.

Warnberg

I believe it is leagal to collect 1 and only 1 live sand dollor speciman in the state of Florida. They may have changed the law but I do believe you may collect 1, I would check the regulations to be sure, however you must have a valid saltwater fishing license to do so and as stated above you would probably never see it and it would be difficult to care for.

Here is a link to the regulations:

http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm

Warnberg

Fish and other ichthy stuff

there is also Creative Oceans, Coral Reef Aquariums, Marine Warehouse......

slb11106

Fish and other ichthy stuff has real good live stock but very slim on anything else, marine warehouse is a large store and i go there quite a bit. both of those are my pics out of the area.

there is also Creative Oceans, Coral Reef Aquariums ...these are ok, i dont have much info on these as i have only been once or twice, and never purchased.