saltwater reef to freshwater--filtration?

Ken

I'm going to convert my 120 gal. reef tank to freshwater. I have a 40 gal. refugium tank under the display tank. I would like some suggestions for the best filtration with this set up. The display tank is pre-drilled and right now I am using 2 Rio 20HF pumps for the return, aprx. 870 gal per hr. each. Is that way too much flow for any type of filter in a sump tank for freshwater? Please give me your thoughts on what would be the best set up with the least amount of noise and maintenance. Thanks for your help.
Ken

PEMfish

I cant really think of a reason to keep the sump. I would go with a pair of canister filters.

Rhodes19

Could turn the fuge into a wet/dry filter. I've seen them on FW systems but never used them on mine. Always had UGFS, HOB or canister filters. What kind of fish are you going to stock?

Bounce

I would just turn the fuge into a wet/dry. I have an 8' 250 gallon FW tank with two 65 gallon tanks connected beneath it for sumps/filters. The first tank is the "wet/dry" (although it's always 90% full of water) and the second is a 'sump' with the return pump. It's really quiet (except for the annoying Mag-Drive vibration) and cheap and easy to change out filter media since you can just buy bulk pads and cut them to fit. You could always use the fuge as a sump and just add a canister filter to use for the return pump as well.

DaveK

More to the point, what do you plan to keep in this FW system? This will make a big difference in the filtration changes that you may or may not need.

Remember, SW systems such as lighting and filtration are often much better than their FW counterparts. For example, you can get some fantastic plant growth in FW by using MH lighting.

PEMfish

Remember, SW systems such as lighting and filtration are often much better than their FW counterparts. For example, you can get some fantastic plant growth in FW by using MH lighting.

You'll just need a different bulb with a lower k rating ( different color ).

Ken

Thanks everyone, sorry I didn't get right back on this, been sick, but better now. Bounce you don't happen to have a picture you could send of the fuge that is the wet dry or If anyone has any photos of under the tank type filter systems on knows of any dyi articles with photos I sure would like to see them.That sounds like something I could do myself with little expense. I'm not sure what kind of fish I will keep yet but my fw before was just a community tank, nothing extravagant at all but pretty and not too expensive to stock. Still open to all options for now.
Thanks everyone, you guys are always great!!!
Ken