salt special

mkpaulson

I think I'm going to try switching back to reef crystals,I have been using ocanic and I think it's little too chemically outbalance for my likings.

mkpaulson

I thought I would give the thread a bump, this special will end September 5th so if anybody needs a good deal on salt this is a good one.

wooddood

the wood dude
thanks mark for the info and just in time for me because i will be setting my tank back within the month, so thanks for the heads up buddy. we all need to save wherever we can in this hobby. karma to ya bud :turntable

dave. :smoking:

bourganaes

I have been using Corallife since I set up my tank but at those prices I am tempted to switch- I kinda hate to change what is working so well ,do you really think there would be a major difference?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Salt's differ a lot... even the same salt brand can differ from batch to batch. That's why you should pretest the newly made salt water BEFORE using it if you've purchased a new bag/bucket. There are a lot of values you can't test for (or are not cost wise to do so) and only the corals and fish know.

Do you have a friend who uses the salt you want to switch to? Maybe they could supply you with a sample and you could atleast test it for the basics and then compare with the salt you're using now?

bourganaes

What you say makes sense- but call me chicken I think I'll just stick with success.I am cuurently paying $42.00 an 150 gallon yield- considering all the $ swimming around in my tank I will probably leave well enough alone. Thanks for the input.

gussy

What do you mean "outbalanced"? Oceanic and Reef Crystal are the same price where I get them, I use Oceanic vs. IO only because it melts faster. Should I dump it?

mt79

I don't like Oceanic b/c, according to posts in different forums, it has very high Ca-480-500+ppm- and low Alk(unbalanced and hard to fix) not to mention the algea problems that have been blamed on it. I've been using IO for over 2 years, all the numbers are good except Ca IMO. If you have a reef the Ca should be bumped upto approx. 425 before using, which is very easy to do using Kent's Turbo Calcium. Having said that no salt mix is perfect, but knowing/correcting it's limitations is more than adequate. Here is a link on Calcium/ Alk balance if needed, hopefully some will find this useful-

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

gussy

Hmm...I did notice the high calcium. I'm starting to think about the algae problems. I can try going to RC again for a few months.