sally light foot crabs ???

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I got 3 sallys yesterday they are very active and clean like crazy I've seen them cleaning my zoos at first I was ready to grab a stick and poke at it until I relized it was just getting the debri off of the zoos and not eating the zoos

anyway the question how big do the get and will the bother my outher tank inhabitants

Also does anybody got a name for this cucumber I've had it for a year or so and have no idea what it's called

cuke.jpg

big_sally.jpg

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have never owned a sally lightfoot crab but from what I have read they are opportunistic ominvores that are not to be trusted.

I think that is a filter feeding spiny cucumber (Pentacta anceps).

Gina

RS STAFF
We had a couple of Sally Lightfoot crabs in our tank for about 1 1/2 years. The biggest that either one of them ever got was about a quarter size (body) not counting the legs. We never had any problems with them when it came to corals. They would munch on dead snails or hermits.

They eventually died and we just haven't replaced them since that time.

Dakota

i have a sally light foot crab i've had for almost 3 years i think. he has been with the tank for along time he is huge. main body is about the size of a silver dollar and overall with legs he is about the 9-10 inches across. he did steal the eggs from the clownfish and ate them. other then that i can say he hasnt really done anything bad. he is very active and cleans like no tomorrow. have been tossing around the idea to get rid of him just because he is so large. i would post a pic but i still cant figure it out.

BoomerD

I had a fairly large sally in my tanks for a while. I obtained 4 baby bangaii cardinals from a fellow reefer, and they started disappearing one by one. I happened to see the sally stalk and kill the 3rd one, so swoosh, out of the tank and into the sump.
As SOMEONE :rolleyes: once said, ALL CRABS ARE EVIL.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Bummer Boomer!! <--- LOL~

Those are the type stories I have heard before. I have heard that arrow crabs are just as evil :guns:

Gina & Dakota, I am glad yours are better behaved. Do you feed them?

Kacy McCure

The sally i have attacked my scotter blenny, so i whacked him with a stick and he has been fine since. Ripped a pec fin off the blenny, but he is fine now.

Gina

RS STAFF
Woodstock said:
Bummer Boomer!! <--- LOL~

Those are the type stories I have heard before. I have heard that arrow crabs are just as evil :guns:

Gina & Dakota, I am glad yours are better behaved. Do you feed them?

Have to admit, when we are spot feeding corals we would have the crabs come over and get their share. Other than that they would spend the day going over the rock picking constantly.

Dakota

yeah i feed mine when i target feed my corals otherwise the shrimps and crabs go nuts.i usually will give each shrimp and the sallt about half a salad shrimp once a week.

sharks

Contributing Member
We have one for well over 5 years in the LFS display tank. We lost the female a couple years ago. :( Like Dacota’s ours is ~9" across.
They don't bother any corals. And we have had plenty of corals over that time.
They will however try to take a small fish here and there. As long as the fish get to know to keep their distance there should be no problems. We have had all sorts of tangs, foxface, small and large fish of all sorts and even the slow moving marine betta has never been bothered. I watched it just the other day literally jump to try to catch the kole tang but the tang knows better then get to close.
Good luck with them.
S

Dakota

i have a mandarin goby that ive had for maybe 2 years now i havent even seen the crab try to get him. i would think he would be the easiest to grab out of the fish in my tank.