Salinity question

Myrten

looked around but was not finding what i wanted... i think i sucketh at searching maybe... but just calibrated and then tested with my refractometer and i am reading SG at 1.025.. might be 1.024 but looks closer to 1.025... how much water should i take otu and replace it with RO... still cycling btw... no stock in there atm...

EDIT
30 gallon hex btw....

Last edited:

Myrten

just checked my other lvl i am in the last stages of the cycling process i think...

ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20ppm

nice to see after 2 weeks... gonna give it at least one more week though :)

sambrinar

Stop messing with the tank... and let it cycle LOL everything looks good... Hurry up and wait!!

Myrten

i never did mess with the at all besides doing the basic cycling tests... and since the saltwater was pre-mixed and bought froma reputable LFS i am sure it is pretty accurate... i was just making sure my sg was right was all..

sambrinar

LOL I was just razzing you.. the cycling is the worst part!!!

How long has it been cycling?? and did you boost the cycle with a raw deli shrimp or anything organic that is dead?

Myrten

no worries... and no i just did it naturally but i bought "cured rock" (i know it still loses a lto but i read it helps to start that way) from a really helpful and nice LFS near me and the SW from them as well... been cycling a bit over two weeks now... also did the live sand form them as well... they were vwery nice and helpful and even were nice enough to help me get started by giving me a pretty nice discount on everythign i bought from them wiothout haveing to even ask them or try to "deal"... Still have not gotten a protein skimmer (buyign next pay day, gettign the remora HOB... ) and once thats in and been on for a few days to a week after i determine if i am cycled i will look into a cleanign crew... still have not decided on wether i am going FOWLR or reef yet.. no lights and the tank runs warm atm at about 78 which iknow is fine but in East Texas it gets hot with a lot of temp fluctuations inthe house... looking for a cooling fan now as i cannot even come close to affording a chiller atm lol..

sambrinar

If you really want to test the cycle to see if you are on a down swing or an up swing... get some plain white vinager and put a tsp in there and test it ... everything should be high... wait 24 hrs and if it's all back to where you are today... your cycled..

I'm in AZ and we are HOTTER than you, and I don't have a chiller... I have 2 $9 fans pointed at each other that blow under the light... causes more evaporation, but maintains the temp at about 80* and MUCH cheaper than a chiller... BTW I have 4T5's and 2 LED panels.. no MH.. so that can matter a lot

Myrten

the main problem i am having atm with a light set up is i have a 30 gallon hex and no hood just a lid and the lid leaves room for NOTHING!... only clip on light i have found is MH need to look for a T% clip on i guess and/or a hanign light i can mount on the ceiling (no biggie for me, i am an electrician lol) and very true Az is hotter but humidity here i ridiculous, no clue if that will make a diff or not though...

sambrinar

Hmm I would think the humidity would make the evap less... but I could just be talking out my butt there... you could still use a small fan over the top of the tank I would think.. or put it on a wee little shelf that blows across the top of the tank.. that's how I did it for my 12gal that did get pretty warm... had to ice it one day

Glass lid?? I'd remove the lid and use Tulle' to screen over the top for any jumpers you may have

Myrten

exactly what i have been thinkign of doing.. also had a forehead smacking moment here.. i just realized i can hang soem T5,s there pretty easily.. now the question is what to do about not having a lid on it.. worried about the fishies jumping otu kinda..

sambrinar

OK go to Home Depo or Lowes and get DYI window screens and lots of corners for your hex.. measure it all out, use a Dremel or something to cut to fit the top...

Go to Wally World or some fabric store, ask for Tulle' AKA wedding vail material and use that as the 'Screen" for the frame... and waaa laaa

Check it out.. doesn't impede ANY light what-so-ever.. nice looking too... you follow me?? very easy.. get the tool tho to put the rubber in the crevas of the frame to hold the tulle' in place Pretty inexpensive

IMG_1492.jpg

sambrinar

I have jumpers.. BSJF, and wrasses.. one fish has gotten out.. a BSJF and I have NO clue how.. he was laying ON TOP of the tulle' .. had to really bite for the poor fella.. being THAT close to the water

Myrten

cool i will have to look into it.. i would be able to cut-otu section for the skimmer and filter with that kinda set up too! tyvm

sambrinar

Eggzactly!!!!!! warning tho... I used a dremel.. frame is alum.. however you spell it.. and it get HOT when your cutting it.. and wear goggles or something.. flying metal everywhere

and NP