Salinity and Lighting Issues:24 gal Nanocube

Nacnud

I have had several problmes related to faulty equipment that probably caused the loss of my 1st coral and 2 clownfish. I replaced a faulty heater that made the water temps exceed 82 degrees on several ocassions.

I recently discovered the salinity was too high in my aquarium, 1.027, that indicated my hydrometer was several units off in its readings. Don't know how long it was giving faulty readings.

I have a fire-tail goby, 2 black clowns and a hawk-fin goby in the tank during the salinity crisis. I have orange zooanthids and star polyps during this time also. I only found out about the high salinity when a banded coral shrimp I bought died the 1st night in the tank. Took the shrimp back to the dealer and he checked the salinity, and determined it was high and the probable cause of death. All other chemical parameters were normal. I did water changes with RO to reduce the salinity. I believe this must have stressed the corals as only a few star polyps are coming out since. DO they need more light? I give them about 6 hours a day. Will they recover? Suggestions...

Barcochris

What kind of light do you have? I would say yes they need more light. How far did you reduce the salinity and how fast? I would recommend getting a refractometer,, they make life easy.

R.yumaDaddy?

Your salinity is definitely not to high. I recently discovered an inaccurate hydrometer. My salinity was / still is 43ppt SG(1.032) and I've had a CB shrimp for about 6 months in a 29 gallon reef. S0 I wouldn't be very concerned with your salinity levels but, its also important to pay attention to dissolved oxygen as it decreases with higher salinity. It may be important to note the size of your tank and kind of lighting also.

Luke7e

Also, if you are trying to bring down your saliinity by adding fresh water, do it slowly as you could shock and kill your corals if you try to bring it down a couple of points all at once...Found that out the hard way

Nacnud

My Tank is about 4 months old. It is JBJ Nanocube 24 gal and it has the standard 2 36 Watt CF light bulbs.

I worry that I did bring the water salinity down too fast, the novice that I am.
Hope the star polyps survive.

Not sure about why the shrimp died if not the salinity. My dealer wnated to blame it on high salinity but maybe not.

I did order a refractometer today. Thanks for your comments. I must learn to go slow!