Sad but True - how to sell everything

jimeluiz

The exciting news is that Luiz and I are moving to Brazil. He's from Niteroi, across the bay from Rio de Janeiro. We're moving to an apartment we own just a few blocks from the beach. We are moving in November.

The sad news is that after four incredible years of doting over our little cube of the ocean we have to sell it all. :cry1:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/121

So my question to everyone is HOW do I sell it as a package? I'm thinking flyers at colleges and cafes, and LFS if they let me. Craig's List is chock full of aquariums in our area and would seem to drive down the value of our set up. I'm telling every one I know...

I guess I'm looking for clever ideas I have not thought of.

Eventually I will break it down and sell bit by bit -- but I'm hoping by starting early I might find that one enthusiast who wants the whole package.

Any good advice? :idea:

Thanks.

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
Awww sorry to hear that Jim.

Truth is, depreciation is pretty rough on reef tanks. It's even tougher trying to sell the whole setup. Your advantage would be showing people how great the setup is and works... get people to come look at the tank. :)

T

Raf

IMO, sell it bit by bit, you will even end up getting more than posting it all in one and you will make everyone happy. Just remember to be fair and try to get back what you paid at least for the corals and fish, but don't expect that on the hardware.

Your move sounds fun, have a great time :)

jimeluiz

Yeah - the bit by bit seems more realistic, but I dread the idea of a pile of parts in my living room slowly evaporating... To sell it all at once I would accept a huge discount - just to get it over with. But as you suggest Raf - I would likely take in more piece by piece. Heck - I have a couple hundred dollars in books alone.

KimPossible

So sorry Jim, I wish you luck in selling it whole. I agree with Travis, get as many people to see your beautiful box o' water :)

I would definately go with a color photo when you single post in cafe's and such. People need to see your tank to grab their attention.

You could always stand outside some local high end SW installation and maintenace businesses in a black trench coat with pics of your tank taped inside... :D... common buddy, let me show you what I got.
But seriously, good luck with your tank and the move....

lcstorc

Sorry to hear you have to sell the cube. Sounds like you are excited about the move though. Best of luck. Even if you don't have a tank you should stop by now and then just to say hi.
Hope everything goes well for you.

Gina

RS STAFF
Good luck with the move. Show us some pics when you get settled in.
I would try and sell it as an entire set up first and if that doesn't work then, you may have to sell it piece by piece. Either way, I wish you luck!

mps9506

I sold all my livestock online through the forums and reef clubs, ended up mostly local people scooped it up. A few choice pieces (actually my most expensive stuff) I gave to good buddies so I can snag frags later for free. The equipment I either saved or sold on Ebay. I still have my ballasts and ro/di and some other stuff sitting in a storage unit.

jimeluiz

Thanks folks. Color photos - invitations to see it live in our house - patience - and a realistic price expectation.

Then later... piece it out - frags.org - local reef clubs.

We have been planning the move for nearly 5 years, so we have our ducks in a row. We're very excited. And Luiz needs to return to be with his aging mother (It's a Latino thing...) Family values. I'm looking forward to it. And I'll still be here daily... :bouncer:

Wish me luck finding an excited buyer!

Well I am sorry to see you go, but the best and funnest thing I have even seen is my friend had the same situation and she had a big party and a tank auction and sold everything in the tank in one day except the tank, stand and lights. She made a few hundred more then she was asking for for the whole setup

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sorry to see it go but you can always set up a new one at your new home! :D

try craigslist.com or ebay.

jimeluiz

We've checked into setting up a tank in Brazil, last time we were down there. As you might expect, the technology/hardware is super expensive. The LFSs we could find in Rio had very simple fish only salt water setups. The store owners said there was a problem with livestock harvetsing regulations -- that is, if there were a market for corals, kids would go collect them, without regard to impact, etc. So responsible LFS don't carry corals.

Plus, in the end, folks just don't have the disposable income for such a costly hobby...

But beieve me - I'll have my eyes open to the possibilities.