s500 vs 525XL

Lamia2super

with the release of the new led S-line i cant decide between a s500 or a 525XL REEFER. what tank do you guys like more ? im coming from a rsm250

i like how the s500 comes ready to go, but the 525XL i feel is easily/cheaper to get started and than i can work on expanding it to my liking

dustinc

with the release of the new led S-line i cant decide between a s500 or a 525XL REEFER. what tank do you guys like more ? im coming from a rsm250

i like how the s500 comes ready to go, but the 525XL i feel is easily/cheaper to get started and than i can work on expanding it to my liking

I would go reefer personally. The downside of the S line is that they are extremely tall tanks, so they can be very overpowering in a room. I had the S650 and it was just far too tall and overpowered everything. After seeing the reefer series in person and purchasing an e series, I'm much more impressed with them as compared to the S Series

BTimmons

I'd go Reefer also. I had an S650 for a couple years and now I have the 525XL. The S series had a bigger ATO reservoir which was a bonus, but it was next to impossible to clean. You could shop vac it but I really didn't like that you couldn't clean it. I also liked that the S series had an aluminum frame cabinet versus the wood cabinet. The wood cabinet is nicely done though and I'm sure it will last for many years. In my opinion the reefer is a better buy for people who want more of a custom set up. I bought my 525xl and outfitted it with all equipment of my choosing, rocks, sand and salt for the price that I could have gotten another comparable S Series tank out the door. I spent 5k on the 650 and then much more replacing skimmer, lights, circulation pumps, etc. Good luck making your decision.

Lamia2super

I would go reefer personally. The downside of the S line is that they are extremely tall tanks, so they can be very overpowering in a room. I had the S650 and it was just far too tall and overpowered everything. After seeing the reefer series in person and purchasing an e series, I'm much more impressed with them as compared to the S Series

well mine is actually going up against a wall thats be hide a column so the s650 would fit nicely actually.

I'd go Reefer also. I had an S650 for a couple years and now I have the 525XL. The S series had a bigger ATO reservoir which was a bonus, but it was next to impossible to clean. You could shop vac it but I really didn't like that you couldn't clean it. I also liked that the S series had an aluminum frame cabinet versus the wood cabinet. The wood cabinet is nicely done though and I'm sure it will last for many years. In my opinion the reefer is a better buy for people who want more of a custom set up. I bought my 525xl and outfitted it with all equipment of my choosing, rocks, sand and salt for the price that I could have gotten another comparable S Series tank out the door. I spent 5k on the 650 and then much more replacing skimmer, lights, circulation pumps, etc. Good luck making your decision.

difficult choice

thats the exact problem i have with the S-line that i want to change something and spend that extra $$$ when i could have just bought the piece i wanted from the start.

When you picked up the 525xl did you end up getting everything you wanted from the start or slowly started adding things to it?

BTimmons

I picked up all the essentials (return pump, powerhead, lights, skimmer) before the tank even arrived. I'm still trying to decide what else I want or need to add.

oakleyx

Both are great choices. I have a first gen RSM s500 and I replaced the lights, replaced the skimmer and added a gyro pump. With that said it's a beautiful tank and if you go with the s500 gen 2 you probably only need to replace the skimmer down the road.

So either way you can't go wrong.

What one are you leaning towards? Do you like rimless better?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

teosso

I had the same dilemma, I fell in love with the look of the reefer, I had a rsm 250 and I hate the giant black top it's just distracting, also depending on where you live but here in NJ you need to add a chiller to the s line, all of the pumps they use are cheap and heat producing machines... I modded mine and even thought I am building out the 525xl I am spending more the. I would on the S 500 my only peeve is the tank size I think 525 is only 108 gal display tank but the 500 is 130 and 650 I think is 180 total volume. A bigger reefer would be nicer, that being said it is very difficult to clean the S 500 etc they are very deep tanks, I am 6-3 and I couldn't reach the bottom without my face almost hitting the water. The S series are thick and tall and the reefer is long and more shallow, so depends on what look you want.

If you like they way it looks and can get the new LED version maybe it will work for you, I have to say though planning and getting exactly what you want is better in the long run, I want oversize on all equipment and it's all DC, I have a client with this type of set up and I can tell you it's dead silent.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BTimmons

I think the new LED canopies are ugly personally, and not having a dimmable T5 ballast on a $3k+ line of tanks? C'mon man

Lamia2super

The reefer series is the one I've been leaning towards. I like the rimless deign and the longer tank. The S-Line is just so tempting since its bigger and comes with everything you need. I also like how the S-line has all the cables and switches neatly placed. I've seen a few S tank and never even thought how cleaning it would be so thats a great tip! I've been wondering if they will release a larger REEFER tank than the 525xl as I would like a tank a little bigger than 108g.

I don't think i'll need a chiller since my rsm250 does fine without one. I have a a/c vent right above the tank that does a good job keeping the temps stable.

how quiet is the reefer tank? I've noticed some people put what looks like a sound deadening material that I also would like to put just incase.

teosso

With the right equipment, you can make it down right silent, I am still awaiting delivery but have a client/friend who had the same set up and I swear you can't hear a thing, the trick is to buy DC and run it slower than the max it can run I picked up a skimmer that does 2000 liters per hour I only need 500. I have six speed settlings so on level 2 I am meeting what my tank needs although the skimmer could handle a heavy bioload twice the size of my tank, I would also suggest this is a dependent on how you stock the tank, I like fish so I tend to max out on fish so that's important to me, if doing more coral and less fish it would not be necessary. I see how it is appealing that everything you need is included but remember that not that much more you could have exactly what you want instead of dealing with red seas choices... I love the look of kessil i have 2 for my tank but I plan on adding either AI or radions so that I can tune the colors and specs to exactly what I need and like.

teosso

The reefer series is the one I've been leaning towards. I like the rimless deign and the longer tank. The S-Line is just so tempting since its bigger and comes with everything you need. I also like how the S-line has all the cables and switches neatly placed. I've seen a few S tank and never even thought how cleaning it would be so thats a great tip! I've been wondering if they will release a larger REEFER tank than the 525xl as I would like a tank a little bigger than 108g.

I don't think i'll need a chiller since my rsm250 does fine without one. I have a a/c vent right above the tank that does a good job keeping the temps stable.

how quiet is the reefer tank? I've noticed some people put what looks like a sound deadening material that I also would like to put just incase.
Not sure where your located but my LFS is selling their S500 for 2750$ it's on their display floor in great shape in Central NJ