S500 particals in water

Stewhit

Hi can anyone help! I have had my s500 up and running for around three and a half months now and from day one I've had a problems with particals in the water colum. I have done everything I can to fix this including changing the entire subtrate out for a larger size grain. It's not bubbles from the skimmer it seems to be fines. The rear power head chamber is spotless as is the sump. I am at a total loss with it now can anyone help thanks

DaveK

You have several possible sources for cloudy water. This can be micro bubbles created in the filtration system or skimmer, bacteria, algae and diatoms, or actual particles.

Test for micro bubbles by turning off the filtration system and waiting 15 min or so. If it's microbubbles, the cloudy water will go away. You'll need to find the source of the micro bubbles, Often they are from air leaks on the intake side of pumps.

Algae, diatoms and bacteria will usually correct themselves once the tank is cycled. How did you cycle the tank?

Particulates can usually be filtered out by using a filter sock. Again, haveing a correctly cycled tank goes a long way. Bacteria will form stick films over everything in the tank, and this will trap the particles.

The are specialty filters such as a diatom filter, but these are expensive and not really needed on a regular basis.
There are also additives you can use that add Flocculants to the water to trap particulates. I do not recommend them because in almost all cases the other methods I have already mentioned work as well, and don't cost any money.

Stewhit

It is actual particals in the water. They filter out through the weir and then the power heads blow them back in the tank. This is not my first tank I have never had problems with particals being unable to filter out before. The tank hasn't got a chiller on it could this be causing to much flow in the main tank.if so how could I fix this without putting a chiller on it. Thanks

LakeLivin

I had a similar problem that was compounded by the fact that I run an almost powder fine white sand. Frankly, I think the Max S series pumps are just too much flow with little to no control to tame them. I stopped using them all together and replaced them with 2 MP40 QD pumps.

If you are not interested in going with different pumps I would just experiment with the direction of the existing pumps and see if you can find a happy spot that does not stir things up so much. I also noticed that after about 6 months things settled down and all the really loose "floaty" particles found a home or made it to my filter sock.

Cara Richman

I'm in the same boat here with my SM500. My tank is only a few months old, but the problem is annoying to say the least. I didn't want a pricey snow globe! :D I keep moving the power heads around and waiting a day or two to see if I can resolve the problem. If not, I've thought about getting a pair of MP40s also.

Rini

Same boat here. Using the fine red sea pink sand. I'm now at a stage that it does not bother me anymore. Since i have an sand sifting goby things didnt get much better. :)
Some days it is worse. Somedays I look into the tank the water looks almost clear.

Have made an movie, not sure if it is visible when uploaded to YouTube.

Action from around 9 seconds.

Desmond

Have your checked the return pumps ?
As said above turn them off come back in 15 to 20 mins.
I had the same problem 1 of mine was sending micro bubbles into the tank and was driving me mad.

Desmond

you could try giving the pumps a good clean and make sure they are straight as i found fiddling a bit stopped the issue or else contact red sea and ask for a soloution. @RedSeaKev

dacianb

With a reefer I thought that I have a similar issue, but sometime water was clear, sometimes less (particles floating around). Moved pumps around, looking at sand and whatever idea came into my mind, until I saw my tangs "going to toilet" :pillowfight:At least the kole is very messy and takes hours to filter everything out and water to be clear again.