Running 2 pumps?

CazK

Has anyone ever used 2 different pumps for returns from the sump? I'm thinking about using a Mag12 during the day and then have a Mag7 run at night. Basically to give a feel of day and night not only with the lights but with the flow of the water as well.

This is general layout of what I'm thinking of doing...

6e0769ba2500f05e26d53f56beae48174g.jpg

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appricated. Oh and BTW this would be for a 60g.

Thanks in advance,
CazK

DaveK

If you have both of the pumps, there is no reason not to give this a try. I would recommend having different plumbing for each one. I don't think you'll get enough benefit to justify buying two pumps.

In addition to the day/night cycle, you could also consider a tidal surge kind of setup, where you run the pumps to simulate the ebb and flow of the tides.

CazK

Yea I have both pumps from previous setups of this tank...I have a 120g now thats just a standard setup...so this one will be a crazy idea test tank. I'm thinking of having 2 sets of pipes which the scwd unit will feed as a wave maker during the day and then during the night the small pump will take over and only feed water through one pipe and by pass the scwd totally so it will be more linar at night.

I'm thinking on the left return pipe to have it feed up and the tank from a horizontal "water bar" and the right return pipe vertical "water bar".

Code:
-------------------------------|
------/   \----/  \----/  \----|
      |   |    |  |    |  |

I know its a bad drawing but yea the picture above is a PVC "water bar" cause well thats what it looks like...LOL

Thanks for listing to my rambling

CazK

60gal DT and 20 gal sump (sump design still in the works)

Plan on going skimmerless or with just a small one to take out the last bits that the rest of the tank doesnt take out. Plan on haveing a "planted" tank with tons of micros for my fish and pods to play in. Plan is to have a max of 10 fish that get no longer 3" (exception would be some Yellowheaded Jawfish which get to ~4") and running a DSB of 4-6".

Adam Black

Why not just turn your powerheads off at night? You can place them on timers. That's if you have PH's in your display. I think 2 pumps would just add to much clutter in your sump. Also more pumps to clean during your monthly chores. Stick with one.

CazK

Actually had wanted to avoid PHs in the DT since most of the time its just extra power consumption. I figured with the scwd I'd get more of the rolling flow then putting PHs on wave timers for the day time.

As for cleaning the pumps...with luck and enough bio filtration I hope to not have to clean them at all.

DaveK

Yea I have both pumps from previous setups of this tank...I have a 120g now thats just a standard setup...so this one will be a crazy idea test tank. I'm thinking of having 2 sets of pipes which the scwd unit will feed as a wave maker during the day and then during the night the small pump will take over and only feed water through one pipe and by pass the scwd totally so it will be more linar at night.

I'm thinking on the left return pipe to have it feed up and the tank from a horizontal "water bar" and the right return pipe vertical "water bar".
"water bar" cause well thats what it looks like...LOL

Thanks for listing to my rambling

Before you use a SCWD, research it on the net. I think you'll find that after a period of time, the device has a lot of problems. I wouldn't recommend one.

If you want wave making, the pumps need to turn on and off rather frequently. This puts more wear and tear on the pumps. Many manufactures don't recommend their pumps in this sort of application.

DaveK

60gal DT and 20 gal sump (sump design still in the works)

Plan on going skimmerless or with just a small one to take out the last bits that the rest of the tank doesnt take out. Plan on haveing a "planted" tank with tons of micros for my fish and pods to play in. Plan is to have a max of 10 fish that get no longer 3" (exception would be some Yellowheaded Jawfish which get to ~4") and running a DSB of 4-6".

IMHO, 10 fish at 3 inches is way over stocked, especially if you are not planning a skimmer.

Fish generate a large amount of waste, and if you are not going to use a skimmer, you will need to keep stocking limits way down. Without a skimmer, I recommend you limit things to about four to six, 2 inch fish.

DaveK

As for cleaning the pumps...with luck and enough bio filtration I hope to not have to clean them at all.

This just isn't going to happen. Even if you keep the pumps in a totally dark area, they still provide an ideal place for bacteria build up. You'll need to clean them about every 6 months, to keep up water flow, and maintain the pump.

Adam Black

I use to clean mine once a month. It's nice not to have any powerheads in the tank but the extra power consumption is going to be less with PH in the display and one return than no PH and 2 return.

CazK

The SCWD I've been researching is the new 1" model that has a screw top to let you clean you unit if it gets gunked up. I was worried about that with the 3/4" models as well after reading the reviews...but I'll keep researching...would be nice to know someone with one to see how they really feel about it though instead of random reviews from online.

as for the amount of fish. Do you really think that 10 fish at thier max size of 3" is over stocking?? I always look at how big the fish CAN get not at how bit it is when I get it. And figured at a total of 30" (which yea I know the feelings on that rule of thumb) with mostly "social" type non-aggressive fish it would give a nice feel to the tank.

I still havent cleaned the actual pump of my 120 tank in over a year...but then again I keep a filter on it and just clean that out so maybe that is keeping me good...have to wait and see.

Thanks again for all the input guys/gals....gives me something to think about

DaveK

When you put something in a reef system, you should expect it to reach it's normal size, and live it's normal lifespan. Obviously, thing happen, and this doesn't always occur.

IMHO, you stocking isn't way over the top, but it's more than I'd use. Best to leave out a few fish. You have about 30 inches of fish. I'd want to limit it to about 2/3 that amount.

Now, it is true that there are people that overstock their tank, and have success in the long term, over 10 years. But, these are people with a lot of experience, and know exactly what they are doing, and are willing to risk loosing the entire tank, if something goes really wrong. I would not recommend ths course of action to anyone.

CazK

2x Spotted Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
3x Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
1x Jawfish, Yellowhead (Opistognathus aurifrons)
1x Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus)

This is a shortened list of the fish I was thinking of adding to the tank. Of course the Mandarin would not be added for at least 4-5 months to make sure I have a large and constantly growing pod population. Does anyone see any problems with the list? The total size comes to ~20" as you suggested Dave.

Since I dont have a real sand sifter on the list I plan on using inverts to cover that portion of the tank needs. I "might" put some corals in but all of course would be low maintence/lighting types.

Of course I plan on a mostly "planted" tank of Maiden's Hair, Shaving Brushes, & other types of kelp that attaches to the rocks.

Back to the topic though I am thinking more and more about running the dual pump system to see how well it works...the only questionable piece is the SCWD unit. Has anyone had any experiece with this item?

Again thanks for all the help and questions that help me decide on a better system then the original plan.

rgfast

Hi, well really don't know what the other guy's are doing but I run two 1250gph pumps though my sump to 1" SCWDs 8 outlets total with flow accelerators have two Koralia 4s 1200gph they are on wave timers.When lights go out an its time for luner lights 1 sump pump on timer shuts down then shortly later the Koralia's shut down and all come back on in same manter in morning.Skimmer was biggest problem I had a skimmer which would go crasy with level changes in sump.Installed new C-SKIM 1800 which doesn't care about level aslong pump has water over it.If you run the 1" SCWDs you will need at least 1000gph or they will be real slow to change side to side even with insert ring which comes with them.I've noticed that since I changed to this set up an increase in my ORP which I feel is due to 50% reduction of flow in sump at night an skimmer be on a 2to1 500gph though skimmer 1250gph though sump well thats my 2 cents

CazK

Thanks RG. How easy is the SCWD to clean if you need to? Also thanks for the warning on the 1000gph, that is something I didnt know...but still works for the setup I'm going to attempt.

Forney54

instead of using two pumps, you could save a little room and just use two sets of plumbing. Maybe thinner for daytime use for high water flow and thicker at night. You could alternate between the two with a simple valve, then maybe you could use the pump for something else. Granted, you lose the ability for it to run on a timer.