RSM250 skimmer isn't doing much of anything....

Is it possible my tank is that clean? Doubt it :)

I have the skimmer neck all the way down and the air flow all the way open. Still... Very little skimmate. Mostly just mud in the neck. I keep the water level about halfway in the viewing glass per the manual.

Maybe my water level in the back chambers needs to go up?

KarlyBoy

+1 to Greg's link above, also, like all things in this hobby patience, I rushed into buying the MC500 over the Stock Skimmer, I have now switched back to the stock Skimmer, as the pro's far outweigh the negatives, but now 'to quote Mr. Saltwater Tank', I know the Skimmer personality, and can pretty well dial it in everytime I need to, it just takes time and patience. FYI .. every Saltwater tank I have had, the Skimmer has taken a while to figure out.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I put a plastic valve with a thumb screw adjustment in like on the air tube and opened the one on the skimmer all the way. This makes fine tuning it much easier.

Ripperj

My Tunze in my 130d bubbles whitish clear bubbles all the time, but takes forever (weeks) to fill the cup, if I turn up the air, all I do is get a cup full of clean water. I do 1 gallon per day water changes(automatic) and my take is very clean and healthy looking, so I don't worry about it much.

Thanks for all the great tips. Exactly the info I needed. Skimming like a champ. I raised the water level up to the third line from the top in the back chamber, raised the skimmer neck as high as it would go so the water would have more contact time with the smaller bubbles, and opened the air up to the point where it's skimming wet green slime and not mudding the neck as much. So far so good. I'm really pleased!

That's an excellent idea. Makes sense to bypass the internal one since it's so hard to turn precisely and the hose is certainly long enough. Where did you get the valve?