RSM S series main return pump

JKT

Hey all S series owners,

My new RSM S-400 is great, but I've noticed that the main return pump is unusually noisy. I've never experienced as much sheer noise from a tank as I get with anything from Red Sea. It always seems to come down to their choice of pumps. In this case the main return pump is louder than any pump I've had on a tank in the past. It's not a hum or vibration. Rather it sounds almost mechanical like something in the pump is rubbing against something. It appears that the main return pump is the same in all of the S series tanks, so I'm wondering if anyone else thinks the main return pump is loud and if so, what did you replace it with?

thanks

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi JKT, Where are you based please ? it is possible depending on where you are in the world that the pumps is different. The main return pump is very powerful delivering around 7000 litres depending on type, if its a Sicce it should have a foam bed to sit in. another type of pump used has a base plate with 4 suckers attached, also ensure that the return pipe is not resting on any side walls of the sump, this can cause excessive vibration if simply touching the Glass.

JKT

Hi RedSeaKev,

Nice to meet a Red Sea person.

I'm in California. The pump came with the foam bed to sit in, so I guess that makes it a Sicce. I've been careful not to let the pump or it's hose touch anything. The only contact points for the hose are the pump and the connector at the manifold. As I said, the pump does not make a loud humming or vibrating sound like the Skimmer pump. That's so loud it can be heard through the entire house. The return pump seems to sound more mechanical like a loud whirring sound. On my last 120 gallon DIY tank I used an Eheim 1262 pump that was silent. You just couldn't perceive any sound from it with the cabinet door closed. But this return pump on my S-400 is the loudest I've ever heard.

The skimmer pump is another loud one on this tank. It's so loud in fact that it can be heard in every room of my pretty large house. It just seems to vibrate at the pump itself and cause everything in the cabinet to vibrate.

I'm starting with the main pump simply because I know from previous experience that main pumps should be near silent. Protein skimmers are another matter, so I'll leave that for later.