RSM S Series in sump ATO setup

JKT

Hi fellow S Series owners,

I've been having a bit of trouble getting my ATO to work reliably. Unfortunately Red Sea didn't include any instruction on how to set the ATO, so I've been using a few other threads here for info. But I'm still having some trouble.

Here's what happens. I set the water flow of the needle valve to about 2 drops per second as per other threads I've read. However, I find that after a day or so the flow slows down or stops and the water level in the sump drops. I can't seem to get that low of a drip rate dialed in with this needle valve. Is anyone else having this issue? Also, is it really correct that the flow rate should be this low at only 2 drops/second? I would think that any flow rate would be ok if the float valve is just stopping the flow of water once the sump is at the correct level.

Any help would be much appreciated.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi JKT, I am sorry, there are no instructions, the operation is simply one of adjustment, once set the float valve should not need touching again unless it blocks, if only clean water is added to the R/O water storage this is highly unlikely.

You can adjust the float valve by holding it and lifting or lowering to maintain a water level in the final pump chamber of approximately 8 inches.

It is normal for the drip rate via the small control valve depending on the water level in the R/O water storage, it is gravity fed so the more water in the storage the greater the pressure on the control valve so you get a good flow rate, as the level falls the drip rate slows slightly, this is not an issue it simply extends the time it takes for the level to top up, if needed an adjustment can be made to this so top-up takes less time.