RSM S 500

SPR

Ok thank you il look into another skimmer then.... one last question iv got this pipe in the picture I can’t work out where it goes
+1 to everything @Nobbygas said

the C skim is rubbish so just get a NYOS 160 you won’t regret it, or whatever other you prefer. The Cskim was manufactured in ‘soviet russia’ or somewhere!

The angled pipe above is a spare pipe to feed a reactor if required. It screws into the left hand side of the plumbing manifold. There should be an end plug in it at the moment. If there isn’t it will leak!

You can get most parts from Charterhouse, option 1 and ask for James and tell him ‘Shaun big tank’ sent you! Lol

The round dial at the top of the pipe is the ‘stupid’ downpipe valve. Why you would put it there I do not know. I’ve always said I would buy a new tank before I cleaned that! Lol

So my advice is open it fully, and then add a gate valve somewhere at the bottom but inside the sump. I think the pipe is 40mm rather than 32mm, from memory but just measure it.

Also whilst your ‘chopping the pipes’ you may want to consider adding the X Filter. I have the 1.7 version in my new tank and it’s marvellous and very easy to install. I may add one to my S650 at some point, probably the 1 version.

https://www.reefolution.co.uk/technical-information

Last edited:

Luke Smith

Thank you there’s some great information there and il look in to that filter too, I look at getting that skimmer at looks very good on the specifications and also good to know people are useing them on these tanks and they work well
Thank you again for all the advice

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

I know what it is ! It clips onto the back of the sump, and the straight bit points towards to chiller cab, and the elbow then has a green tube attached. It's the outlet flow pipe from the chiller!
Chiller to straight bit (green pipe).......then green pipe onto the elbow and the water goes back into the sump via the return pump chamber !
Obviously this only works if the chiller is in the chiller cab under the power centre !

Nobbygas

+1 to everything @Nobbygas said

the C skim is rubbish so just get a NYOS 160 you won’t regret it, or whatever other you prefer. The Cskim was manufactured in ‘soviet russia’ or somewhere!

The angled pipe above is a spare pipe to feed a reactor if required. It screws into the left hand side of the plumbing manifold. There should be an end plug in it at the moment. If there isn’t it will leak!

You can get most parts from Charterhouse, option 1 and ask for James and tell him ‘Shaun big tank’ sent you! Lol

The round dial at the top of the pipe is the ‘stupid’ downpipe valve. Why you would put it there I do not know. I’ve always said I would buy a new tank before I cleaned that! Lol

So my advice is open it fully, and then add a gate valve somewhere at the bottom but inside the sump. I think the pipe is 40mm rather than 32mm, from memory but just measure it.

Also whilst your ‘chopping the pipes’ you may want to consider adding the X Filter. I have the 1.7 version in my new tank and it’s marvellous and very easy to install. I may add one to my S650 at some point, probably the 1 version.

https://www.reefolution.co.uk/technical-information
Being it's the S-500 you may get away with a NYOS 120. It is rated for tanks up to 500 liters, but after rock, sand & equipment displacement you'll probably have around say 450 litres? Being a smaller sump than the S-650 a NYOS 120 may be a better fit.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Being it's the S-500 you may get away with a NYOS 120. It is rated for tanks up to 500 liters, but after rock, sand & equipment displacement you'll probably have around say 450 litres? Being a smaller sump than the S-650 a NYOS 120 may be a better fit.
That’s possible yes but bear in mind the NYOS 120 doesn’t have a drain tube for the cup which could cause issues (unless they’ve modified it recently)

Nobbygas

I have no idea about using any other skimmers apart from the NYOS, but even if you were to blow bubbles through a straw it would be better than using the C-Skim !

Luke Smith

Brilliant thank you il add that to the list, I’m thinking about getting the tank filled with water and getting it running to check all pumps work, everything’s water tight too and having a listen to the skimmer while I finish off cleaning it

Nobbygas

And I hope you've been going to the gym on a daily basis for the last month, otherwise you'll never be able to undo the clips that hold the collection cup !

Luke Smith

That’s the issue I did spot the tabs on the plastic are gone and now I’m understanding why they might have got broke off...... sounds like the skimmer is destined to go in the skip to me il look in to the skimmer you guys recommended NYOS 120

SPR

That’s the issue I did spot the tabs on the plastic are gone and now I’m understanding why they might have got broke off...... sounds like the skimmer is destined to go in the skip to me il look in to the skimmer you guys recommended NYOS 120
I’d get the NYOS 160 as it has the cup drain attachment

Check it will fit but @Pancho75 has one in his S500

Nobbygas

I’d get the NYOS 160 as it has the cup drain attachment

Check it will fit but @Pancho75 has one in his S500
Yep. The cup drain attachment is really useful. My main cup empties into a one litre plastic measuring jug, as found in the wife's kitchen! It's really easy to just lift that out and empty into her spanking clean toilet. Shaun uses a four litre plastic milk carton for his, because he has really dirty fish who poop a lot.