RSM C 250 Rear Sump CUC

zamerico

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a RSM C 250 (Oct 2014) and our family has really enjoyed the progression. I joined this forum around the same time and have learned a tremendous amount about both the tank and the care for the beautiful life inside of it. Thanks to all of you! However, I can't find whether or not owners use CUC in the rear sump. If you do, please specify what type and how much you typically place in there. I remove the sponges once every two weeks and give them a good rinsing in the water which was removed during the water exchange. As most of you know, a bit of gunk builds up on top and in the sponges which I theorize a CUC would enjoy. I perform weekly water changes but only remove the sponges for cleaning every two weeks.

My clown wrasse (solon fairy) decided to jump out a couple of weeks ago. Apparently jumped into the sump and then out of the back. We were very sad because he was a beautiful active fish that loved to come out and look at you. So please take head, place a plastic mesh on the back portion of the lid if you have fairy wrasses. Also, I have a pair of clowns, and the Picasso clown decided to make a home in the sand rather than the frogspawn, hammer or duncans. He also hasn't found refuge in Simone the Anemone (I know, I know it doesn't rhyme...)

It seems that the tank is progressing well, albeit while battling algae on the sand bed, first cyano and now some copper color stuff that the foxface, small yellow eye kole tang and lawnmower blenny like to eat. The CUC picks at it also but want them to eat more. I siphon the sand during water changes and get a lot out but it reblooms in the same areas. I run a chaeto ball on the top rack with a light, a bag of purigen and two bags of CPE.

I look forward to posting some pictures. I'm also looking forward to your input.

Thanks in advance!

zamerico

Danreef

WELCOME !!!!

Looks like you have been doing things correctly and tank is cycling correctly. I have a RSM250. Yet I have not fish jumping to the back sump, but I hear that also from another RSMC250 member. I remember the posted pictures. He/she added egg crate to increase the height of the divider wall.

I have not heard of anyone using CUC at the back sump. I will be afraid because the pumps are there and you never now.........

What light are you using in the media chamber for the Chaeto ?

All the best and waiting for those pictures to come !!!!

Daniel

zamerico

Thanks, Daniel.

Yeah, I figured no one has yet dared place livestock in the sump, beyond pods.

I decided to use this light: Single 12-led Submersible Light for Water Garden, Fish Pond, Fountain by Jebao. Bought it on Amazon. Seems to be working well as the ball has grown a bit. I turn the ball over every week during the water change and siphon the top of the sponge to remove any loose strands. Some have made it into the main tank where the foxface makes quick work of it. Not much escapes him, including some pieces of my blue spruce candy cane corals, he's a pig.

RSM C 250 - with stock T-5 lights
Stock RS pumps
Coralife 1/10 HP chiller
At the moment, Aqueon 1700 utility pump for the chiller
Will shortly install a Tunze 3152 Osmolator. Purchased slightly used for steal so will make it work rather than buying a new 3155
Use two 27 gallon heavy duty storage totes from HD, black with yellow lids to mix saltwater. One for RO/DI and the other salt. Installed bulkhead fittings and added some drains. Fill gallon jugs for RODI and 5 gallon jugs for saltwater. I make 20 gallons a week.
Spectrapure 90GPD RO/DI system
Installed inline TDS meter
Use an Elemental 295 GPH submersible pump in the SW tank after mixing to keep it flowing.
Use RS Coral Pro Salt mix. Not the cheapest, but has worked great thus far. Found some good deals for 160 gal buckets at PetSmart but didn't buy, not sure why I'm timid about mixing the salt brands.

Livestock:

Fishies
One Spot Foxface - Medium
Kole Yellow Eye tang - Small
Lawnmower Blenny - Medium
Green Mandarin - Medium
B&W Oscellaris still with orange face and belly - Small and very cute
Picasso Clown - Medium
Pajama Cardinal - Medium
Started with Blenny, Wrasse (RIP), 2 Pajama Cardinals (Small-Medium and True Medium). 1 week after stocking the fish, the medium cardinal beat the smaller cardinal to death. I tried to stop him but the attack was relentless. Decided to take him out and went to get net, came back and the emerald crabs had him. He was stripped in 5-10 minutes was finally able to pull the bones out as it came out from under the rocks. Besides the wrasse, which was accidental suicide, all fish are extremely happy and healthy.

Corals:
Clove polyps - 20+ polyps in group
Pulsing hand zenia - out of control growth but very graceful and beautiful.
Purple-Blue mushroom rock. About 25 shrooms attached. Gorgeous!
A couple of red, bumpy mushrooms. One loves it, the other keeps floating around to find his favorite spot. I occasionally pick him up and place him but he releases and floats. I think it's found it now, though, we'll see...
Green Sinularia - Growing like crazy. Looks like a live oak in the middle of the tank.
Finger Leather - cream color.
Several branches of Blue Spruce candy cane coral. Bought a bunch from a guy looking to make room. Most have been nipped and angry with me, but are beginning to recover.
Multibranching green hammer coral. Four lobes which look like one big one while extended.
Multibranching frogspawn, green with pink tips.
Several bunches of duncan corals. One was killed by Simone the Anemone, was a sad day...
Yellow cup coral. I had it up high in the tank and looks like it was getting too much light as it was turning brown in areas. Since I noticed this, moved it down.
Short tentacle toadstool. Bought a frag for a steal and now is taking off. Green short polyps.
Several zoo colonies. I'd hate to say it, but they're my favorites. Can be a little picky to open but when they do, POW! Enjoy the colors...
Orange plate coral - Medium.
Neon Green Closed brain on the way
Several Ricordeas on the way. Can't wait!

Inverts:
Several red and blue leg hermits
Halloween hermit
3 Mexican Turbo Snails
Fire Shrimp. The foxface and blenny love to get cleaned
RBTA. Not sure how to get clowns in it.

I think I need to add more blue lights to make some of the colors pop. Any suggestions?

So far, owning a SW RSM tank has been a fantastic family experience. My two kids, 11 and 9, are loving it needless to say that my wife and me are as well.

Danreef

WOW....you are worst than me ... :) from October till today you have added a lot of life ... ha ha !!!

A voice of advice with the 1352 nano-ATO. I installed mine that I had from my nano. 2 times emptied 1G of Destilled water. I had it in my left sump, facing the tank, where pump 1 is located. Bubbles from the skimmer were trapped inside the plastic that covers the floating sensor. The sensor was pull up by them. The pump can pull more than a Gallon until it stop (security system). It wasn't a problem but the salinity went from 1025 to 1024. I needed to add more salt water and wait for the evaporation to equilibrate the tank again.

I replaced the 3152 by a JBJ, that I had also, and is working like a charm. I am using 2 aqualifter pumps to pump water. If there is a fail they can pump only less than a liter after the system stops in 45 seconds (security feature) if the pumps have not filled the tank in that time.

Cheers
Daniel

See the bubbles in the pictures:

zamerico

Daniel, that's great advice, thank you for sharing. I will certainly keep that in mind. That's a lot of worms.

I'm home every night and perform 5-10 min maintenance on the tank so topping off is not a problem, it's the pesky skimmer that gets me. I've found that if not maintained at a certain level, it simply doesn't function effectively which means the protein feeding the algae is not being effectively removed, or that's how I theorize it anyway. I also have a used JBJ that someone gave me but doesn't look all that hot so I went with the cheaper 3152. We'll see...

Yeah, I've taken some chances on the livestock but have been diligent with the water changes and what the tank has been telling me. Thus far, everything has been very stable, other than the sand algae which has come and gone... Early on, I lost some pink zoos. The rock had a small colony of green and brown maneater zoos as well as a larger colony of the pink zoos. The rock was awkwardly flat and I couldn't glue it down anywhere, so I would perch it on a rock trying to pry it in place. I thought it was stable; however, it would get knocked over by a hermit or snail anywhere I'd place it. Every morning the rock would be face down in the sand. This happened for 6 days until the pink polyps began to disappear, eventually, none were left but the maneaters were still thriving. I broke a large section of them off and place them on an upright rock while leaving a smaller colony on the original rock. I've now have found a stable place for the rock and both colonies of maneathers have sprouted new polyps and growing very well. I've yet to spot feed the LPS and anemone, I'm waiting until after the ATO is installed and get rid of more sand algae. Don't want to introduce additional nitrates and phosphates which can't get skimmed out.

zamerico

I like the blue LED light strips you used, Daniel. I'll add some on my tank to give it some pop.

Looky here, 5 posts, time to start a new tank progression thread.

Danreef

I like the blue LED light strips you used, Daniel. I'll add some on my tank to give it some pop.

Looky here, 5 posts, time to start a new tank progression thread.

Thank you !!!

Yes... start a new tank thread and members will be reading it and helping in all your question. This is a hobby where there is always something to learn. No matter how many year you spend on it. And...because it is biology... Every tank is a different world.

Cheers
Daniel

PappaBear

Hey Zamerico,
I saw your post about the chiller pump. I am about to set up my RSM C-250 with the same chiller and am still not sure how I want to setup the chiller pump. Are using a second pump or did you upgrade your single pump. Also, how do you have it plumbed? I would appreciate any advice or pictures of your chiller lines and setup. Thanks. PB.

zamerico

Hi PappaBear,

There is a small chamber between the skimmer and #1 which has been designated for the chiller pump. the chamber is approximately 4.6875" wide and the same depth as the rest of the sump. The small width made it a challenge to purchase a pump capable of pushing the 200-300 GPM which the chiller manufacturer called for with a 3.5' rise. Originally, I purchased the Sicce Syncra 2.0 on the suggestions from the LFS where I purchased the tank but it was too wide and I couldn't make it fit (aaaarghh! very frustrating when you're in a zone ready to set up the tank and get it running). Luckily, there was a Petco nearby and I purchased the Aqueon 1700 utility pump. Per the package, it states that it would have an output of close to 300GPH at the rise I measured from the chiller to the chiller adapter. Not ideal, but it's been working very well so far, the temp is fairly constant at 78F. I've read somewhere that many people have used the Sicce Syncra 1.5 to great success and I may buy one for when and if the Aqueon fails. The Aqueon has a 3/4" hose barb adapter while RSM used 5/8" hose barb adapters throughout the tank, including the chiller kit. I purchased 10' of 5/8" hose from HD and cut the pieces to length. First I plumbed the chiller hoses while the tank was empty (this is a must if you plan to have the tank against a wall because you'll have to move the tank to get behind it). Also, this was the last step after running all of the wiring for the pumps and lights. Because the hose is 5/8" and the pump hose barb was 3/4", I boiled some water and stuck the end of the hose I planned to use for the pump side. While the hose was soft and malleable, I inserted the 3/4" pump hose barb into the hot portion of the hose then ran cool water on it to shrink it into position. The return hose from the chiller is half way down the same chamber where the chiller pump is located. I also placed the RS heater in that chamber and plugged the heater into the chiller outlet. There are three pumps in the sump running which raises the temp a bit but the chiller is having no problem at all keeping the temperature I want. When the chiller reads that the temperature is more than 2 degrees below the setting, it activates the heater port. I'll be happy to take pictures and post this evening for you.

Dan, I'll be working on the post. Also, this morning I spotted the B&W oscellaris in Simone the Anemone. Woohoo! Now to get Art the Picasso Clowny to follow suit....

PappaBear

Thanks Zamerico for the detailed post. I am picking up my C-250 Friday and really wanted to get the chiller plumbed in during the initial setup and your information certainly helps me get closer. I would very much appreciate any pics if it is not too much trouble. I LOVE the part about heating up the hose instead of using adapters. Genius! I have been searching for someone who has actually placed a chiller pump into a C-250 so there would be no speculation knowing it works.
I'm looking at running the Coralife TurboTwist 12X UV sterilizer with the Coralife 1/6 HP chiller with the pump so I am looking for about 400 gph so may go with the Aqueon 2300 if it is the same size as the 1700 (Amaz.co says it is the same but Coralife website indicates it is larger) because of the loss in flow to height.
You say that the return from the chiller empties back into the same chamber where the pump is. Are you concerned that you are pumping the same cooled water back to the chiller? Have you thought about a different setup? I have read some people return the chiller water back to the display tank. Just thinking out loud here...
Have you added any power heads in the display tank or are you satisfied with the stock setup? Thanks again and I hope you don't mind if I check back in with more questions. PB.

I guess a better way of looking at the return setup would be to replace the RSM stock pump with something larger and route to chiller, back and then out through the bulkhead nozzle. Have you considered that at all?

Danreef

When I was asking about chiller installation for my RSM250 most of the people replaced the red sea pump by the Eheim 3000 + . In this way you have 1 pump that send the water to chiller and return to the tank.

Has been working for me this last 10 months very well.

Daniel

zamerico

Hi all,

My chiller pump is basic, in and out of the same chamber feeding the sump. The cooled water shoots into the tank via pumps #1 and #2 then the chiller pump is constantly returning tank return water to the chiller. Although Daniel's way works, I set mine up a bit more basic with a smaller expense because I purchased the chiller lightly used.

Here is a picture:
PA250132_zpsfntdolds.jpg

This is the pump chamber and chiller adapter setup:
4B821BB0-38B1-4BFE-A0CA-74E9F351C2A7_zpsrnqn5m67.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's the tank shot as of last weekend:
P1170908_zpsgbl4iw67.jpg

The point and click camera simply doesn't capture the colors very well. I really should figure out how to use that thing, it has many features I don't use...

Unfortunately, I didn't create a folder library of the tank creation, I took pictures here and there when I thought about it.

I also jinxed myself posting how good things were because as of yesterday, the dern kole tang has developed ick as well as the foxy brown (foxface) and my B&W clown. I know all of the fish now have it but may not be visible. I only have a 10 gallon QT setup so I'll go in stages, first the Puddin' Tang, Foxy and B&W, sell the foxface and tang then add the other small fish to the QT. Leave them in there for 6-8 weeks then slowly introduce. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't lose any. I shouldn't have let my son convince me on getting that tang, I knew better but he was upset when the wrasse went wood floor diving.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Last edited:

zamerico

My pleasure PappaBear. For some reason, I can't see the pictures I inserted. Perhaps I'm not allowed to attach files for some reason. Were you able to see the pictures?

P1170911_zps49c21758.jpg

Last edited:

zamerico

Aw man, sorry about that. I reached my limit on how to post on these forums. I did the photobucket thing then used the insert image button then followed directions. I'll do some research.

Joeys Tank

The way I use photobucket to put up pics here is when you click on a pic in photobucket, to the right is a list of share links.

Email and IM
Direct
HTML
IMG

I left click in the IMG block and the url will change to "copied". Then, I simply paste into my post and the format is already taken care of.