RSM 500 - Replacement Black Sponges and T5 Bulb Question?

mikezanga

Hi All...I am wondering if anyone knows where I can buy new black sponges for my RSM 500? Also, my RSM500 has been up and running for about 7 months and I'm wondering how I know when my T5's are in need of replacement? And also would like opinions on best T5 bulb's to use as replacements. I am happy with the stock T5's but I believe they are the Red Sea Reef Spec T5's(5 whites and 5 actinic's) which are not available yet in the US....thanks all in advance!
Regards,
Mike

David Shaw

I removed the sponges and now have a filter sock over the return pipes, which prove far more efficient in polishing the water and don't trap debris that could become a nitrate issue. Replacement sponges are available in the UK from LFS's so might be worth a google to see if anyone is stocking them in the US.

I am using the new Red Sea Reef T5's and they really make the colours pop. The Red Sea recommended line up for the 500 and 650's are 5 Whites, 3 blue, and 2 pink.

I have white, pink, blue then white again in the front panel (in that order), white and blue in the middle and white, pink, blue and white in the rear (again in that order).

I replace my bulbs every 5/6 months

ErnestoC

I am using Giesemann T5 and I am happy with them. IMPORTANT! Do not purchase ATI light for your tank... ATI T5 don't fit correctly and they will not work

Nob35

I think most have taken out the sponges and are going to socks instead. When I received my tank it came with the Red Sea spec bulbs 5-15000k blue-white, 3-22000k actinic and 2- pink looked ok without water but probably will never know how they really look with a complete system since I put in LEDs

mikezanga

Thanks guys...the Red Sea bulbs are not yet here in the US...
Ernesto...can you share your combination of Giesemann bulbs that you are using?

modulok

I have 2x Giesemann purples in the center but at $30 each, and Hexarc blue and whites for the rest. Hexarc bulbs were on sale for about $10 each.

Check out my tank thread for pics and all details.

Seagars

I am using Giesemann T5 and I am happy with them. IMPORTANT! Do not purchase ATI light for your tank... ATI T5 don't fit correctly and they will not work
yeah what he said. and do not use the sponges either - filter socks for me.

Sailagain

After reading many other threads in here - I too have removed all the black sponges and gone with socks. Water is much better- easier to clean the socks too

dustinc

I know people have talked about issues with ATI bulbs, but I've had ATI bulbs in my 650 since day 1 and never had an issue.

ErnestoC

Thanks guys...the Red Sea bulbs are not yet here in the US...
Ernesto...can you share your combination of Giesemann bulbs that you are using?

Sure, starting from front to back:

Antic+
Aqua Blue
Aqua Blue
Aqua Blue
Antic+
Antic+
Aqua Blue
Aqua Blue
Aqua Blue
Antic+

phf

I removed the sponges and now have a filter sock over the return pipes, which prove far more efficient in polishing the water and don't trap debris that could become a nitrate issue. Replacement sponges are available in the UK from LFS's so might be worth a google to see if anyone is stocking them in the US.

I am using the new Red Sea Reef T5's and they really make the colours pop. The Red Sea recommended line up for the 500 and 650's are 5 Whites, 3 blue, and 2 pink.

I have white, blue, pink then white again in the front panel (in that order), white and blue in the middle and white, pink, blue and white in the rear (again in that order).

I replace my bulbs every 5/6 months

Ditto Dave for socks and light with slight difference on the order : from front to back : white, pink, blue, white (front), blue, white (middle), blue, white, pink, white (rear)

However, I still have small particles in the water. What type of socks are you using ? 50 microns, 100 microns, 200 microns, other ?

David Shaw

I use 50 microns. I also put a sock under the return skimmer pipe that goes into the left hand chamber of the sump. Also make sure the skimmer pump is pushed securely into the skimmer as odd microbubbles can sneak out otherwise.

Having done all the above i now have no microbubbles and crystal clear water.