RSM 400 main return pump swap

legazya

After chanching some years ago the original skimmer for a Bubble King mini 180 (and making good use of that outlet derivation for a biopellets reactor), I was now thinking of changing the main return pump for a more silent one. What had been your experiences in this issue?

I had thought that the Vectra M-2 would be a sensible option, but I have read some complaints about vibration and noises.

Also, Royal Exclusive has released a new line, the Red Dragon X, less expensive that the main RD 3 Speedy. Do you think that the 85 watt/6500 lph (around 1700 gallons) would be enough for the RSM 400?

Finally, the new Maxspect Jump DC (90 watt/8000 lph, around 2100 gallons) has a very special looking.

Any idea?

DaveK

Since your looking for silence, rather than more flow or pressure, do not spend any money on a new pump until you are sure you have done everything possible to keep the existing pump silent.

Often you can shock mount the pump and and mount it using flexible pipe so vibrations and noise are stopped at the source.

To shock mount a pump the best way I have found it to suspend it away from the bottom of the sump using heavy nylon fish line. Use the braided line, not monofilament. You'll likely need to run about 4 lines to the pump, one for each corner of the base.You may even need to make an extended base for the pump, and suspend that in the sump.

Lastly, pumps that move more water tend to make more noise, so keep that in mind with your pump selection.

I can't really comment on the pumps your looking at, since I've never seen them in action. I do have a couple of the Royal Exclusive pumps but they are the older models. Great pumps, but out of sight expensive.

Pancho75

Royal Exclusiv are great pumps in my case I used a Neptune COR20 and it is dead silent with great flow. You have to touch it to check if it is running.

Nobbygas

I am just about to purchase an Ecotech Vectra L2 for my S-650. The reason being that the stock return has now been running for three years and I'm starting to get nervous about it failing. The Vectra should be quieter as it will only need to run at something like 70% and not 100% full blast. I will then keep the old one as a spare.

legazya

Thank you all.

Yes, I was looking for silence. My pump was one of the old models with a base plastic base with suckers that wasn't very helpful to reduce vibrations. Then I took it out and have been using a foam under the pump attached with elastic bands. Better, but anyway, it's been running for more than eight years, and as Nobbygas says it's time to keep it only as a spare.

But, Vectra L2 seems too powerful, 11.500 lph, even at 70%. I have also added a Tunze turbelle stream pump in a lateral to improve water movement inside, so I reckon there would be too much turbullence...

I don't use Apex or other controller, and I think it would be one of the main adventages of the Cor20.

Have you had any problem with the new pumps and the plumbery of the RSM-S? Have you changed the flexible plastic pipe initially provided? I think it's a 28mm exterior/25 mm inner diameter. Does it fit with the new pumps?

Nobbygas

I don't know if it will fit until I buy it :) Reading around though it seems as though it will not be a problem to make it fit. I still have the original flexi-pipe for the return.