RSM 250's 6 month bulb/ Lighting change

alfaman

Hi all,

This is my first real serious question regarding my 250 tank. If this isnt the right place, please feel free to move the thread to the equipment section.

I need to change my bulbs in a couple of weeks and I dont think stock bulbs are the best to go for but then I dont really know why I think this as I am new to the hobby, i was looking at something like:

x2 39W Coral light new generation £17.99 - (http://www.stm-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Korallen_Zucht_T5_Multi_Bay_Lighting_Units.html)
new_T5.jpg

x1 39W Korallen-Zucht T5 Fiji Purple Special Red/Blue £16.99
x3 Narva blue - 39Watt Narva Blue Tubes T5 (Unbranded) £10.64
£84.89 or shall I go with standard RSM 250 spec and pay £120?

For me its not about money and more about the growth and look of my reef.

Really interested in your thoughts as I am not an expert, I merely have an opinion that the bulbs that come std with the RSM are exactly that, very std.

Am I talking out of my arse?
What order would you place them if it makes sense to do this?
Will these give off enough "Normal" required light/correct waves?

redsea reefer

ATI and KZ bulbs are about the best, If you want to do all KZ, then I would do the following below, pretty much as you suggested already. Don't know what Narva Blue is...

3 KZ Super Blue
2 KZ Coral Light
1 KZ Fiji Purple

Stagger them... for example front to back

Coral Light
Super Blue
Fiji Purple
Super Blue
Coral Light
Super Blue

alfaman

excellent, thanks for such an amazingly quick response, do you know the length of our bulbs? (I just added more detail to my post for anyone else wondering what I was talking about.)

Again thanks for the assistance.

alfaman

Installed but too blue for me, will most likely change one or even two blue bulbs out with STD actinics. Looked nice really did but didn't look how I expected. Any one want buy a tube :)

redsea reefer

That too bad...Did you get the new gen coral light 14000K bulbs or the original 10,000K coral light? If you got the 14's, that likely why its too blue...

alfaman

yes, I got the new gen 14k's, I didnt consider that although only two, the ultra blue really are ultra, interested as to what others are using in their tanks for hood lighting.
I also wonder about dimming too and might need to look into this more.