RSM 250, Replacing the 1200l/h pump and algae issues

YNot

Do you think a reactor like "FMR75 Fluidised Reactor" would be a good addition?

thanks

I have no experience with that reactor.
I do have a Bulk Reef Supply GFO/Carbon reactor running on mine. Not sure about what impact it has on the phosphates as mine keep coming back as zero with the APS and Hanna Phosphate checker. But the water was cleaning and clearer looking than ever. :yup:

mistral82cy

1 Week update:

I added 10-12 turbo snails and a yellow tang (7 days)
I reduced the light on to only 6h per day.
Minimised feeding to once every 2 days
replaced the secondary circulation pump which was not working with a new one, running at about 2000l/h
put back on the wavebox
Yesterday changed 70-80 ltr (18- 20 US Gal)

Since last week I already noticed that algae expansion is less (most probably because of less light and less food)

a couple of more questions...

Should I avoid adding coral food? and

I noticed that my salinity level was around 1.030, whereas as i read it should be 1.024-1.025. Could the salinity level affect as well the expansion of algae?

thanks

YNot

Should I avoid adding coral food? and

I noticed that my salinity level was around 1.030, whereas as i read it should be 1.024-1.025. Could the salinity level affect as well the expansion of algae?

thanks

We feed fish every day (most times) and corals every third day (most times).
Your salinity is way too high.

Typical surface ocean values are 1.025 to 1.027.
I think the recommended for reef tanks are 1.026.
I keep mine at 1.025.

As far as what impact the higher salinity has on algae growth, I have no idea. I do know that your desirable livestock is not too thrilled about it being that high.

YNot

do i need to add active carbon media? will it offer something? (not concerning phosphate/nitrate reduction)

Yes. IMO, yes.
Here's a great demo as to why: [video=youtube;to3w0XN4kvY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to3w0XN4kvY&list=UUcJv2rQDivg8NwXIxydJ86A[/video]

mistral82cy

Hi guys,

just a quick update,

All things seem to be great this weekend.... Algae is almost nowhere to be found.. Only some minor pieces here and there, but I can see my cleaning crew doing miracles...

again thanks for all your help, especially from YNot..

cheers