RSM 250 - Pump#2 broke - chiller not cooling cause of it?

ReefingFun

Hey all,

So a couple of days ago my pump#2 broke down and I'm still waiting on a replacement. Since then my chiller is on 24/7 and can't seem to get the temperature on a normal level. It's "stuck" on 27-28 degrees Celsius and doesn't ever shut down or reach the set temp.

Does this have to do with the the water flow that is interrupted now cause of the broken pump or just a coincidence that the chiller might be broken aswell?

To me, the water doesn't feel like 28 degrees (need to buy an extra temp measurement tool tomorrow to confirm), but I don't dare to take the risk now to shut down the cooler :/

Any ideas?

Cheers!

I did the same thing in my 250. You should have been fine with your second pump. Is there a chance that air got into the pump and it is kind of 'vapor-locked'? If not I would check to make sure you still have flow out of the pump. If not, you need to shut down your chiller till you can get the pump working again or you may cause irreversible damage to the chiller.

ReefingFun

I did the same thing in my 250. You should have been fine with your second pump. Is there a chance that air got into the pump and it is kind of 'vapor-locked'? If not I would check to make sure you still have flow out of the pump. If not, you need to shut down your chiller till you can get the pump working again or you may cause irreversible damage to the chiller.

Air in the pump or you mean air in the circulation system? It does make a water sound that it didn't do it before though. Like water flowing through the chiller, sorta like a waterfall sound.

I had something similar happen with my chiller. The thermostat has gone bad.

Could be as well but I got no way for checking that atm, shop wasn't open today :/

ReefingFun

Do you hear a flowing sound (waterfall) coming from the chiller?

Ye the water that goes into the chiller through the tube down makes that sound. Pretty sure it didn't do that before. I think the chiller isn't 100% filled with water or something, like you said perhaps some air in it? If so how can I get it out?

You can try to shut off the pump and restart, or once it is running, tap it lightly on the floor of the sump to get the water running again. Remember that you have a glass tank, so I wouldn't tap too hard. But you need to get the water flowing properly again. If that doesn't work, take the pump out, and make sure you didn't get anything from the bad pump in it. If the bad pump lost some of the splines, they may have fallen and gotten stuck in the impeller of your chiller pump.

ReefingFun

You can try to shut off the pump and restart, or once it is running, tap it lightly on the floor of the sump to get the water running again. Remember that you have a glass tank, so I wouldn't tap too hard. But you need to get the water flowing properly again. If that doesn't work, take the pump out, and make sure you didn't get anything from the bad pump in it. If the bad pump lost some of the splines, they may have fallen and gotten stuck in the impeller of your chiller pump.

Damn... That actually worked :O I just knocked it softly against the wall and bottom and a couple of seconds later the waterfall sound stopped and temp suddenly is going down again! Think it actually is going down at a normal rate now, so should be fixed!

Thanks, really appreciate the help!

Not a problem. Glad I was able to help. Your tank should be slowly coming down in temp again. Keep an eye on your chiller temp and see if there is any fluctuation in the digital display. As long as it goes down, and stabilizes, you should be good. Now, just get the postal service to deliver that darn replacement pump for the DT and you will be all good.

ReefingFun

Chiller is in standby again now. You can't believe what a relief that is after hearing that sound for 24h straight :D
Now to wait for the ow so slow postal service here!
Thanks again :>