RSM 250 LED conversion starts tomorrow

starktw

Didn't know the heat sink fans would stay on when the lights were off so I didn't hook them up to the timer, oops

I like the looks! How do the corals and fish take to the new lighting? I am thinking of something like this for my new tank. Curious to see how the tank itself is reacting to the new LED's.

starktw

Any thoughts on the conversion? Good, bad or indifferent??

I'm in agreement with you that the install directions leave a lot to be desired. Steve's LED's seems to assume you are an electrician. Someone like myself who knows nothing about this kind of Stuff, some better directions would be very helpful. The typhoon controller directions were lacking as well.

If you want to use a controller to run the lights and still keep the moon light don't pay the extra $5.00 for the timer setup. the power supply comes without a Plug. I had to buy a plug for the power supply, my heat sink fans now run 24-7 because nothing in the directions discussed anything about wiring them to the timer. I just assumed the fans would come on when the led lights came on. the 30 minutes for the install according to the directions is a little misleading, it took me 30 minutes Just to get the hood apart.

Like the led lights so far

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
my heat sink fans now run 24-7 because nothing in the directions discussed anything about wiring them to the timer. I just assumed the fans would come on when the led lights came on.

This is why I have the RSM timer coming on just before the LEDs come on and going off just after they LEDs go off. By doing it that way, the heat sink fans won't run all the time and they will last longer.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I had to buy a plug for the power supply, my heat sink fans now run 24-7 because nothing in the directions discussed anything about wiring them to the timer. I just assumed the fans would come on when the led lights came on.

I'm confused by this statement " I had to buy a plug for the power supply". The power supply gets its power off of the relays in the hood. From step 17 of the installation instructions "Route the cord ends with the connectors on them through the timer
box, and plug them into the first relay, as shown circled in the following photo" and then there is a photograph showing which relay to play them into.