RSM 250 feeding

smcore

Hi all. I've had a Red Sea Max 250 for a few years now.

What do other RSM owners do for feeding? I found at the beginning that feeding anything that floats while the circulation pumps and skimmer are running simply sucked at least half the food into the back chambers thereby wasting food. So for the past number of years I've been turning off all the pumps just before feeding, then turn them back on a hour or two after feeding (I actually have the pumps on a timer that shut off on their own and back on later in the evening and I feed the tank inside that window.

Am I the only person who does this? It seemed like such a waste to watch half the food I dropped into the tank get sucked into the back chambers. So having the pumps off means a majority of the food stays in the tank.

Rini

Hi. I have an c250. Here 1 pump goes of and the skimmer. Works very well. 3 hours in total. In this timeframe i add the red sea supplements as well.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Oxylebius

I turn the pumps in the back of the tank and the wave maker off while feeding. I feed slowly to make sure most food is eaten by the fish. I then allow the wave maker to run for a little while to circulate any extra food (w/o the pumps on). If I fed something that disperses in the water column I will allow the wave maker to run for a good hour w/o the main two pumps. Otherwise I kick the main pumps back on after 10-20 minutes after feeding.

Last edited:

chris.denijs

I turn all pumps and the shimmer off for 4 mins when feeding. This give the fish enough time to eat the food and the remaining food is captured by the coral when the pumps turn back on.