RSM 130 skimmer question

aquahobbyMD

I've got a RSM 130 (non-deluxe version) with everything stock, including the skimmer. I do use the surface skimmer upgrade, and the water level is just barely above it, so that surface water flows downward into the filter intake.

I have low-to-medium bioload with only 3 fish, some soft corals, minimal inverts, and a large amount of LR.

Question:
I rarely see foam collecting in the collector cup, less than 5% of the time, when I randomly check. Sometimes I see foam that is almost reaching the top but not quite, and mud does collect on the side walls of the top of the skimmer which I wipe off monthly. I have the the air tubing open to the highest amount of air flow and my water level is fine. My tank is about 3-4 years old, doing relatively well, with good water parameters and minimal nuisance algae.

Is the low skimmer foam volume simply a reflection of good water quality or should it be foaming into the cup more often? I am aware of the many skimmer upgrades with this system but would like to stick with the stock components if possible. Thanks for your help!