Lighting
2 T5 24w 6700k
2 T5 24w 420nm moonlights

Heater
Aqueon 150w

40 lbs live sand
16 lbs live rock
16 lbs dead rock

Will add protein skimmer if weekly water changes do not keep everything under control.
Will be adding chiller this summer.

Livestock
1-Yellowtail damsel
1-Percula clown
1-Royal dotyback
1-Peppermint shrimp

Hoping to add 1 or 2 more fish. an anenome and a couple of corals as the tank ages.

Will add some pictures at a later time.

RoyB

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks for starting a tank thread, looking forward to the pics.

DaveK

Just a couple of points.

You seem to be mostly interested in fish at this point. They produce a lot of waste. Adding a skimmer is most likely to be the best investment you could make in equipment at this point. While they are not absolutely required, I place them in the "highly desirable" pieces of equipment. Avoid the low cost skimmers. There is a lot of junk out there. For your tank size, and most likely wanting a hang on tank skimmer, I'd go with an AquaC Remora.

As for a chiller, try everything else first to keep the tank cool. A chiller is an expensive investment, and most of the time you can do just fine adding a couple of fans for better summer cooling. Only if there is no other way to keep the tank cool should you get a chiller.

As for live stock, unless you plan aggressive fish, I'd remove the damsel. They can get really nasty as they get older. As for anemones, they require excellent lighting, filtration, and a well established tank. At this time, your tank isn't to that point. I'd wait about a year, and then see how things are. Do not rush into an anemone.

ziggy

how long have the 4 fish been in your 4 week old tank?
Or is the 4 weeks AFTER the tanks cycle completed?

Were you able to measure the ammonia and nitrites levels to confirm the peak and subsequent drop to 0?

Adding fish or livestock best to do 1 every 3 - 4 weeks to have the bio load slowly adjust the good bacteria level

RoyB

Just a couple of points.

You seem to be mostly interested in fish at this point. They produce a lot of waste. Adding a skimmer is most likely to be the best investment you could make in equipment at this point. While they are not absolutely required, I place them in the "highly desirable" pieces of equipment. Avoid the low cost skimmers. There is a lot of junk out there. For your tank size, and most likely wanting a hang on tank skimmer, I'd go with an AquaC Remora.

As for a chiller, try everything else first to keep the tank cool. A chiller is an expensive investment, and most of the time you can do just fine adding a couple of fans for better summer cooling. Only if there is no other way to keep the tank cool should you get a chiller.

As for live stock, unless you plan aggressive fish, I'd remove the damsel. They can get really nasty as they get older. As for anemones, they require excellent lighting, filtration, and a well established tank. At this time, your tank isn't to that point. I'd wait about a year, and then see how things are. Do not rush into an anemone.

Thanks I will check out the AquaC Remora skimmer.
Think that the chiller will be necessary. I live in an area that gets over 100 for during the summer. Buying and running a chiller will be cheaper then running the AC all day.
The damsel isn't the king of the tank now, the dotyback and clown both keep him under control. The tank is far from mature enough for a anenome at this point. If the tank stays stable a coral will come before anenome.

RoyB

RoyB

how long have the 4 fish been in your 4 week old tank?
Or is the 4 weeks AFTER the tanks cycle completed?

Were you able to measure the ammonia and nitrites levels to confirm the peak and subsequent drop to 0?

Adding fish or livestock best to do 1 every 3 - 4 weeks to have the bio load slowly adjust the good bacteria level

Listened to shop owner on how to setup tank. He said that with the live sand, liverocks and Dr. Tims fish could be added right away. Started the tank with 3 yellow tail damsels. Never saw a peak in ammonia or nitrites. Just low levels of ammonis for a few days, 0.25. After a couple of weeks I added cleanup crew. Then I took out 2 of the damsels and added the clown and dotyback. Levels are staying at 0. Not sure if he was right, but seems to be working so far. Will continue to check levels every 2 days. If they go up I will remove the fish.

RoyB

RoyB

My parameters

Temp 78
Alkalinity 11
Magnesium need to get a test kit
Ammonia 0
Calcium 440
PH 8.1
Nitrates 5
Nitrites 0
Phosphates .25
edit to add
salinity 1.025

How is it looking so far? Looks like the alkalinity is high to me.

Last edited:

RoyB

I was going to ask what salt you are using, but at this point in time you don't want to add any supplements. Weekly 10% water changes (preferred) or biweekly 20% WC's are all you need to do. If your alkalinity is 11 dKH your calcium should be 439 ppm. So you are right on the money.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/info/calculators/alkcalcalc.php

I am using Kordon Coral Sea. Doing 10% weekly changes. Have a Magnesium test kit ordered. If all of the results stay good will add zoa coral in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the link.

reefer gladness

If you have trouble controlling algae in this tank consider swapping out the bulbs. 6700k color temp is great for growing macro algae in a refugium but I've never seen anyone with such a warm color temp in a reef tank. 10k is usually the warmest color temp you will see in a reef tank but it's largely a matter of personal preference.

RoyB

If you have trouble controlling algae in this tank consider swapping out the bulbs. 6700k color temp is great for growing macro algae in a refugium but I've never seen anyone with such a warm color temp in a reef tank. 10k is usually the warmest color temp you will see in a reef tank but it's largely a matter of personal preference.

Not having a big problem with algae. What effects will the different lights have on fish & corals?

reefer gladness

Not having a big problem with algae. What effects will the different lights have on fish & corals?

In terms of health no effects that I'm aware of. In terms of color it will make a big difference. When you see pics of really nice corals that seem to pop with a glowing fluorescence that's largely due to the lighting. Most online stores photograph their corals under a 20k metal halide. The same corals under warmer lighting may take on a very different appearance.

For example, one of my favorite acans is a bright fluorescent orange under 20-24k lighting but the same coral was a drab brown color under 10k lighting. I very nearly tossed or donated this coral but happened to switch tanks and change lighting and was amazed by the difference.

ziggy

In terms of health no effects that I'm aware of. In terms of color it will make a big difference. When you see pics of really nice corals that seem to pop with a glowing fluorescence that's largely due to the lighting. Most online stores photograph their corals under a 20k metal halide. The same corals under warmer lighting may take on a very different appearance.

For example, one of my favorite acans is a bright fluorescent orange under 20-24k lighting but the same coral was a drab brown color under 10k lighting. I very nearly tossed or donated this coral but happened to switch tanks and change lighting and was amazed by the difference.

No effect on fish or coral as long as you're not going from an old weak tube to a new strong one. Otherwise you'll have to gradually acclimate them

RoyB

Magnesium test kit came in today.
Temp 78
Alkalinity 11
Magnesium 1410
Ammonia 0
Calcium 460
PH 8
Nitrates 3
Nitrites 0
Phosphates .25
salinity 1.024.5

Magnesium & Calcium are a little high. Tomorrow is the day for my weekly 10% water change, so these are the readings right before change.