Royal Gramma's Big Dig

jimeluiz

Our Royal Gramma has taken to diggng out big holes under some rockwork. (One hole at a time - to be repeated when his insensitive aquarist host vaccums the sbstrate and destroys the carefully crafted cavern :verymad: )

I'm guessing this is in preparation to laying eggs. We initially thought it was simply making itself a new 'home' after an entitled RBTA took over the deep hole in some rockwork the RG previously claimed as its own. But it does not hang in the hole, rather, nearby.

If it she/he :dunno: is preparing to lay eggs or invite another cutie to come and lay her eggs -- how do I break it to her/him that without a suitable domestic partner there will be no domestic bliss or the sound of swishy-swish from little fins?

Maybe it is just reveling in spitting sand all over our zoanthids. :makefun:

ReefLady

Staff member
LOL great post Jim. You win the "best use of smilies" award. :)

I've had clownfish do the same thing, but there was always a pair. So maybe your little Gramma has his/her eyes on a different tankmate? I mean, this is 2006 and all... ;)

lcstorc

Great post and use of smilies.
My maroon clown does the same and he is all by his lonesome (as far as clowns go anyway). Never really gave much thought to the why.