Rose bubble tip used to be healthy - now pretty bleached

Fordemups

Hi

I've had the BTA about a year. The first 6 moths he was very happy and healthy, even when the tank wasn't well maintained, and I wasn't feeding him.

He's since lost most of his colour and is now smaller. Been like that for maybe 5 months. I've tried feeding regular shrimps, changing T5 tubes, adding LEDs. Not sure what else to do.

Water is fine. Everything else is healthy. Temp is maybe over optimal but he should be used to it.

Any tips for bringing him back or is he just not gonna respond now? But I guess it's the zoox I need to win back some how.

reefer gladness

Can you give us more specifics about the lighting and water tests?

With poor water quality I usually see the nems shrinking up and pouting for a few days and water changes always improve the situation. Not sure what the temp range is of your tank but they key is stability so if the temps are fluctuating by more than 2-3 degrees it's a problem. They do want clean water and stable temps and they're not going to just get 'used to it'.

Lighting is what I suspect but difficult to say without knowing more. Insufficient light or too much light could both be responsible for the loss of color.

puffermike

We'll need more specs on the tank itself. Run your normal tests and post the results on here for us. That way we will be able to assist you better. Pictures also will help in this case.

DaveK

When your dealing with anemones you have three major areas to check. First check it for any damage. They can get hurt getting sucked into the filtration or circulation systems, or torn moving over corals.

Second check lighting. Many people don't use enough or it's not the ideal spectrum.

Third check for water quality. This is critical and most likely the source of your problem. Often the tests don't show much. I'd change about 1/3 of the water and see if it perks up. If it does, you have found a big part of the problem.