Rose BTA split again

Hooked

My Rose BTA split a couple of months ago. I thought about a week ago it looked like it was going to split again and sure enough--there it goes. This time it had 2 clones, so now I have 4 total.

I noticed it splitting Friday evening when I got home from work. Here's what it looked like:

Hooked

I had planned on moving these guys to their new home Saturday, but thought I better wait a week while everyone heals. I did move the first clone last night; thought maybe it'd be better to move them one at a time rather than having everyone wandering around trying to find a good spot at the same time.

This is a picture taken right before the split was completed

Cougra

How long does it take from when they first start to split until that final little strand breaks free? What happens to those small little tenticles that are on the strand between the two anemones? Do they get incorporated into their respective anemones or fall off?

Those are great shots you have of it splitting! Thanks for sharing!

Hooked

Michelle,

Unfortunately, I can't say exactly how long it takes, because they started to split sometime after I went to work Friday morning (8:30ish) and were nearly done when I got home (4:30 or so). The time that elapsed between the 2 photos was maybe 10 minutes. And that was the second one. The first one had already split and taken a walk. :)

I'm pretty sure those tenticles end up with one or the other. I wanted to watch the whole thing, but it's like watching water boil. Nothing seems to happen when your staring at it, but as soon as you turn your back, everything happens. :rolleyes:

Brucey

Katrina .... that's just really amazing news. Keep us posted on what happens to all your new additions .... I'd be tempted to trade some at the LFS
Brucey

Cougra

Hooked, that's cool. It does give a fair indication on how long it takes. For some reason I was under the impression it would have taken much longer :) Thanks for sharing your observations!

Hooked

I feed a small amount of mysis once a week. I buy PE mysis slabs and break off a piece the size of a nickel.

I think that's a great question, because almost everything I've read says they only get a small part of the needed nutrition from light and feeding is very important. Mine has grow to ~6" across the oral disc, then split. The last split was January 5th, less than 2 months ago. I really feel like I'm underfeeding based on the literature I've read, but the results say otherwise.

Hooked

Brucey,

I suspect I won't have any trouble getting rid of some if I decide to, but I'm just not sure what i want to do. I think that eventually I won't have any choice, because at this rate, I'll be out of space soon. :)

By the way, I moved the first clone that was "born" in January to the 46 gal on Monday evening. Looks to be doing great. I posted a picture in my gallery.

Cheers :cool:

rookie

thanks for the quick reply, I feed mine a hole silver side twice a week.... I didn't think about feeding it mysid I think I will start alternating the two for variety...