RODI quality ?

mtsully71

I have a BRS 4 stage RODI system, I understand a major part of a healthy tank starts with the RODI. With using new filters, pushing about 60 PSI, and using a HM digital com-100 TDS meter, my reading is .8 PPM. I understand that's good, but should I be pushing for better numbers by using better filters, carbon cartridges or higher quality DI???

I use BRS filters, carbon cartridges and DI for changes.

Thanks
Sully

DaveK

Typically you should be getting under 4 ppm out of the RO stage, all by itself. Out of the DI stage you should be getting very close to 0 TDS.

To some extent this does depend on the water going into the unit. If this is really high, you might see higher readings coming out of the RO unit, but this is uncommon.

There really isn't too much difference in the filter cartridges. Although it is possible to use a finer mechanical filter as the first stage. If your seeing the carbon filter pick up some dirt from the water, then you might need a finer mechanical filter.

It also seems that if you use a higher capacity RO membrane filter, it doesn't remove quite as much. In other words, a 25 gpd RO membrane often filters more out compared to a 100 gpd membrane.

The final RO stage should be collecting everything else.

What can happen is that the various filters may not be seated quite correctly allowing some ubfiltered water to bypass the filter. Check this out carefully. Also check out the flow restrictor to make sure it's working and that it matches the RO membrane your using.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Can you add a double DI stage? Have you tested the Tds from the tap?

mtsully71

Can you add a double DI stage? Have you tested the Tds from the tap?

To this particular unit not that I am aware of, my tap tested in the 280 range if I recall, I could check again if it would help you with advice. Dave gave some great advice about about the RO membrane fi as I am sure I am using a 75 GPD rather than a lower number such as 50 etc.