Rock loaded with hitchhikers (lots of pics)

tektite

OK, I got my Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock yesterday. Talk about hitchhikers!!! Got lots of pics of cool animals.

The rock was incredible. They were covered in living things of all sorts. Within a couple hours of being in my tank, feather dusters were out, tons of barnacles were sweeping the water (very cool looking), snails were emerging, anemones opened, heard lots of click-clicking from mantis shrimp, you get the idea.

So far I've seen species of (though I'm sure I'm missing lots of things) – crabs (gorilla, some red type, porcelain), mantis shrimp, lots of snails, limpet, octopus (yes, octopus), serpent star, coral, lots of copepods, anemone, bristle worm, lots of other worms, feather duster, barnacle, sponge, gorgonian, tunicate, and red macro algae.

Rock out of the box:
P1020870.jpg

P1020882.jpg

Living things – just guesses as to what some of these things are:

Porcelain crab hiding:
P1020884.jpg

Red, blue, tan sponge/coralline algae (?):
P1020962.jpg

Tiny feather dusters in red sponge (?):
P1030012.jpg

Red tunicates/sponge (?) and red macro algae:
P1030060.jpg

tektite

Snails:
P1020968.jpg

P1030007.jpg

P1030076.jpg

Barnacle feeding (hard to see but its little sweeper was out):
P1020969.jpg

Tiny gorgonian?
P1030026.jpg

Feather duster:
P1030027.jpg

Weird thing cruising my glass:
P1030133.jpg

Bristle worm (?) it was iridescent, cool looking:
P1030150.jpg

Something cool:
P1030037.jpg

Little orange anemone of some kind:
P1030014.jpg

Another anemone of some kind:
P1030071.jpg

Mantis shrimp checking me out:
P1030054.jpg

Coral:
P1030057.jpg

Octopus (very tiny but cool):
octopi.jpg

molsen187

that is some great looking rock. from what i've seen tampa bay aquatics has some great rock and prices. i'm def getting my rock from there when i do another tank. great pics too.

BarbMazz

Isn't it fun?! Just wait until you get Part 2!!

Rock wasn't out of the water for long, was it?

With mine I never had an ammonia spike; I measured twice per day as instructed and never had to do a water change after Part 1 or Part 2. I was prepared to, though.

Tell us about your tank!

seafansar

Way cool! Love the octopus and mantis! That "tiny gorgonian" is a hydroid. They can become annoying and sting your corals. Might want to pick it off the rock before it spreads.

tektite

The octopus died last night, I think the shipping was hard on it. I found it on the side of a bag, out of water. It lived for an hour or two though.

greene394

I am sorry!!! :cry1: That sucks! Even though it died, you still got some AWSOME ROCK!!! If you can sometime put a link up to where you got the rock from. I would love to check them out! Thanks a bunch!! Congrats again!

tektite

Sure thing. I got the rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. It's aquacultured too, so there's no impact on any reef when it's harvested. The rock I got was literally taken from the ocean and the very next day shipped to me :)

RyanG

Tampa Bay Saltwater has GREAT rock but is becoming renouned for the mantis shrimps that you get with it. That can be a plus or minus depending on what your goals are.

goldenmean

Looks great Tektite! great photos too!
More and more cool critters will appear in the coming weeks.

My TBS tank is approaching 2 years old and my wennerae mantis is my favorite critter. He has been a great reef tank mate.
Almost all the mantis that comes in on TBS LR is of this small species and the fear and hysteria that comes with a mantis HH is in IMHO and experience totally unnecessary.

tektite

I've been looking forward to having mantis, I think they're cool. A couple keep poking their heads out to watch me, it's amusing.

BigJay

yessiree.. thats true live rock. I think I'm gonna try to make a drive by there one of these days to pick up a couple pieces of his rock.