RO Unit. Do I need one?

gforce17

Hi. I'm about to set up a 110litre reef aquarium and I wondered if you experts out there would say I need to get an RO UNIT, or to buy water from shop. They sound quite complicated to set up and it sounds as if quite a bit of water is discarded. My water is metered and I wonder if I'd be paying more in the long run? Thanks.

DaveK

People have set up eef systems using tap water, and in a few cases they really don't need an RO/DI unit. That being said, I would consider a good RO/DI unit so critical to maintaining top quality water that I'd rate it as extremely desirable. They are not difficult to set up or use, and you will know the quality of the water you are using. All to often water obtained from your LFS is not that good.

Yes, RO/DI does produce waste water in the process. This doesn't mean you need to throw it out. You can use it for a lot of other things, such as watering plants, wasing and so on.

Yes, you will pay for all the water consumed, but that is still far less that what the LFS will charge you for water, even if you factor in the cost of the RO/DI unit itself.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My RO-Di system (Bulk Reef Supply 5-stage 75GPD) is right on TOP of my list of BEST PURCHASES since setting up my reef tank. I'm NOT a do-it-yourselfer & I set mine up (by myself!!) in less than 20 minutes.
If you're in this hobby for the long haul: I'd say BUY ONE. :thumbup:

reefer gladness

Agree with everything said 100%.

Would just add a personal opinion that on average we are more likely to keep up with our weekly water change schedules with an RO/DI unit in the house. When I first started I was far more likely to procrastinate and delay water changes if I had to make a separate trip to buy water.

Also, if you're doing the math and seeing if it makes financial sense for you don't forget to the top-off water needed to replace evaporation. It varies from system to system but I see about 5 gallons per week evaporate over a 58 gallon tank - that's 1/2 my RO/DI consumption right there.

mikecc

I think that everyone should have to haul 5 gallon jugs from Walmart everyday for a year and then revisit the question.

tomr33

Before I got my rodi system I just filled up 5g jugs from the glacier drinking water station in front of grocery stores. It was ro UV filtered and it used carbon it had like 9 stages of filtration

AJK

I love my ro/di unit, waste water was a concern for me as well, I have my unit set up in bathroom, so each time I filter water, I use waste water to clean bathtub, sink, walls, mop wooden floors, etc....

I recommend the unit, you & reef will be happy :)

david42

I used the glacier water machines. Until I bought a tds meter and discovered it was testing at 10.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I used the glacier water machines. Until I bought a tds meter and discovered it was testing at 10.

Yikes! That's not good...when you stop to think that the TDS get more concentrated because the pure water evaporates and you top off with MORE of the same water :grind: NOPE, that's NOT GOOD. :(