RO System?

hellchoi

What is a good RO(reverse osmosis) system to get? I live in manhattan and I know you can't use tap water to fill the aquarium. I am getting ready to buy a Red Sea Max 250 and want to do this right. Trying to figure out how to fill the 65Gallon tank. I also need to get the right delivery system/hose to move it or get Home Depot 5 gallon tank and slowly fill it up. Then put in the salt mixture? This whole water thing the basic I think is the most important and key element to do this right.

knapp870

I'm currently looking into the Bulk Reef supply RODI PLUS unit. However, there are several other very reputable dealers.

N83259

There are plenty of good RO systems on the market - Spectrapure, Bulk Reef Supply, AquaFX and others. I'd suggest you get a RO system with one (or even two) DI canisters. The extra cost is minimal. Gallons per hour and the particle size the sediment filter will catch are factors to consider. And the unit should come with a pressure gauge, and a TDS meter is nice to have.

I use the 5 gallon water bottles often seen used on office drinking water dispensers. The ones with the handles built in are easy to handle and they are sturdy. I'd think the 5 gallon buckets sold at Home Depot would be a hassle and prone to spill for adding water, but are useful for water changes & other things. For water changes, I use a 15 gallon "garden tub" with rope handles. If you have trouble lifting a 5 gallon container (about 35 pounds) to fill the tank, a pump & tubing can be used to move the water from container to tank.

Yes, you want to add the water FIRST, then the salt. NEVER the other way around. On your FIRST FILL (ONLY), you can add the water directly to the tank, then the salt mix, letting the pumps mix the two. It's probably best to add 5 - 10 gal. of water, then the appropriate salt mix, test the salinity, and repeat until filled, adjusting the water/salt ratio as needed if necessary. But you can never again add salt directly to the tank once it has live rock and/or animals. For future water changes, you'll mix your water & salt in a seperate container with a circulating pump (heater set at tank temp is also recommended), let it mix for a day, then add it to you tank.

knapp870

I would actually still mix the salt and water before adding to the tank on the first fill. It is too easy to get your salinity too high or low on that large amount of water and this makes it much more difficult to change the salinity level.

lcstorc

I would not necessarily recommend a particular RO or RO/DI unit. What you want to look at is the rate of production and the amount of waste water produced by a given unit. Personally I use a unit from AquaFx but that is primarily because I won it in a raffle. :)
There are units that connect directly to your sink or units that you connect to the faucet directly. I have mine connected to the cold water supply in my washing machine.

unifi

Hey hellchoi, glad to see you're jumping on board and getting an RO/DI unit. I have a couple of suggestions as well... I set up a nice reservoir at my house...I used a 35 gallon leg, an RO/DI fill kit (it will have the float valve, and the proper connections), and then I used a Mur-loc EZ faucet adapter for the bathroom sink and a drain saddle clamp for the bathroom sink as well. I keep the actual RO/DI unit under the sink with the poly tubing coiled up under there. When I need to make water, I simply plug the poly tube into the back of the reservoir and turn on the flow. The float valve keeps it from overflowing, and when I wake up, it's ready to go. There are pics of everything you need below. I got everything I needed except for the 35 gallon leg at bulkreefsupply.com, and there are usually group buys going on here at the site Group Buys that will help you save even more money. Below are pics of my setup and the exact parts you'll need...just make sure you get them in the proper sizes...That's about $120 worth of parts (including the 35 gallon leg...they're usually about 60 bucks online plus shipping. There are many name brands that are acceptable...You need to look for this, "Resin complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulation 21 CFR 177.1520 (c) 3.1 and 3.2. ". I used tank-depot.com. This is a 35 gallon leg (which is what I use) for $68.99 + shipping. As far as the pump goes, I used an extra I had laying around, but make sure you get one that can move some water (small pumps don't work well). Then its just a couple of PVC fittings and a ball valve and you are in business.

I will be the first to admit this setup is a little spendy, but it is worth every penny!!! I could not imagine trying to do this into five gallon buckets or a rubermaid trashcan.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!!

My setup
2011-01-18184227.jpg

Mur-loc EZ Faucet Adapter
murlok-fittings-ez-fauct-kits-38.jpg

Drain Saddle Clamp
push-connect-drain-clamp.jpg

Auto Shut Off Kit for Reverse Osmosis Systems
auto-shut-off-kit.jpg

knapp870

Unifi, I love this idea. I was trying to figure out where I would store the water, etc and I think this would work perfectly. I could store this setup and make the water in the laundry room, then wheel it in to the aquarium. Does it move easily when full of water?

hellchoi

Thanks for all the info - looking into the Typhoon RO system. I live in the city so space to store all this stuff is limited I need a compact solution with small hose. I will figure out how to store this water and create mixture properly as I get into this.

shark32

Check out the Filter Guys...they have great products and excellent customer service should you need any type of help..good luck:D

unifi

Unifi, I love this idea. I was trying to figure out where I would store the water, etc and I think this would work perfectly. I could store this setup and make the water in the laundry room, then wheel it in to the aquarium. Does it move easily when full of water?

While I keep it on a furniture dolly, I have never tried wheeling it in and out for water changes and fill ups...I just use a couple of water cooler containers to top off, and I fill them and use a 15 gallon container they stay in to mix water for the water changes. I get about 30 gallons full (the top off float valve won't let it fill all the way), so when it's full, it weighs about 240 lbs. I will say, it is the single best investment I ever made. No more trips to the LFS for water. Same set up any LFS would use, only on a smaller scale.