ro/di unit and waste water

flyline

i just got my ro/di unit in and hooked everything up im happy with it and it seems to work well but what im wondering is it seems like there is alot of waste water coming out is this normal? im pretty sure it is making the gallons per day its suposed to but just seems like alot of wasted water...thanks for the help

mbdave

Usually you get 4 to 1 Thats 4 gallons waste to 1 gallon good this sometimes improves with time. There are things you can do to keep your unit running at its optimal, 1 get a flush valve and keep the membrane flushed out, 2 keep a good choramine carbon filter in, don't let it go so long the carbon is no longer good because chloramine will detroy your membrane. I added a second membrane to my unit to get more product and a better product to effluent ratio it has so far worked and I make a "load" of water. Stay on top of it, buy quality filters, and flush regularly.

Good luck,
Dave

flyline

thanks for the help i got the ocean reef +1 it does have the flush valve so i will keep it flushed and im pretty sure it has 2 carbon filters on it but i will make sure to keep the filter changes up it said about every 6 months is that about right?

jwest94

Coming from someone who has worked in the water industry for many years, servicing and building RO systems I can tell you that the only thing a flush valve does for your membrane or your system is separate your hard earned money from your pocket. It is completely unnecessary.

flyline

well jwest i apreciate your honesty if i could pick your brain a bit why would they even bother to put one on then...i notice when i did flush the membrane water just poared out of the waste tube..it did seem likea waste to me but i know nothing about this and that is what the instructions told me to do so i was erring on the side of caution

jwest94

As far as I can tell it won't hurt anything. As to why they do it I think it's another example of somebody overthinking and thinking they somehow know better. The world is full of inventors of useless gadgets in an effort to make $ and until I see solid evidence that backs up the flush valves on RO systems that is my stance.

jwest94

And another thing the single most important aspect with your system is your water pressure. If you don't have adequate water pressure going into the system it won't be very efficient. If you have adequate water pressure, keep your sediment and carbon filter changed out regularly your system will do its job for a long time.

IXL

Not a bad Idea -perhaps you can do your Laundry with that water *snicker.... Coordinated accordingly